Undergraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Ghana can be accepted for direct entry onto an undergraduate degree if they have completed an undergraduate diploma from a public university with a final GPA of at least 3.0/4.0 or equivalent (first- or second-year entry at the discretion of the department); a Higher National Diploma (HND) with a final GPA of at least 3.0/4.0 or equivalent (first- or second-year entry at the discretion of the department); or completion of one year of a Bachelor’s degree at a public university with a GPA of at least 3.0/4.0.
- Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission to our undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28 to 30, depending on the course.
- Applicants from Ghana may also take a Foundation course for entry onto undergraduate programmes at the university. These offer the opportunity for guaranteed progression onto Birkbeck’s Bachelor programmes.
Postgraduate entry requirements
- To be considered for entry onto a Master’s degree at Birkbeck, a student from Ghana must have completed a Bachelor’s degree from a recognised Ghanaian university. A postgraduate diploma from a public university with a minimum final GPA of 3.0/4.0 or equivalent is acceptable, as well as a one-year Master’s degree from a public university with a minimum final GPA of 3.0/4.0 or equivalent.
- Please note that all applications are considered on an individual basis and students may be admitted to Master's programmes with a lower-level degree if they have work experience relevant to the degree applied for.
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for 2- or 3-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s degrees at Birkbeck.
- Ghanian degree classification
- 1st (alternative name: First class; English translation or equivalent: 1st)
- 2:1 (alternative name: Second class - upper division; English translation or equivalent: 2:1)
- 2:2 (alternative name: Second class - lower division; English translation or equivalent: 2:2).
Research degree entry requirements
- The usual entrance requirement for a research degree is a two-year Master's degree from a recognised university in Ghana; one-year Master's degrees are usually predominantly coursework-based and not suitable for PhD entry.
- Applicants are strongly urged to contact potential supervisors within the department before submitting a research application.
Find out about our international scholarships.