Undergraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Egypt who have completed the Thanaweya A'ama/Al Azhar School Leaving Certificate will normally require a Foundation course for entry onto undergraduate programmes at the university. These offer the opportunity for guaranteed progression onto Birkbeck’s Bachelor programmes.
- Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission to our undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28 to 30, depending on the course.
Postgraduate entry requirements
- To be considered for entry onto a Master’s degree at Birkbeck, a student from Egypt must have completed a Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree from a reputable university (eg American University in Cairo or a public/private institution); Bachelor’s degrees from higher institutes are considered equivalent to foundation degree standard and therefore applicants are not suitable for postgraduate standard.
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for 2- or 3-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s degrees at Birkbeck.
- The same marking system is used for universities (at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels) and higher institutes, but varies according to the faculty. The American University in Cairo uses a grading scale ranging from 0 to 4.0, with 4.0 being the highest and 0 being the lowest.
- Egyptian arts classification: 90-100%; Egyptian sciences classification: 85-100% (alternative name (percentage system only): Excellent; American University in Cairo CGPA: 3.8; English translation or equivalent: 1st)
- Egyptian arts classification: 80-89%; Egyptian sciences classification: 75-84% (alternative name (percentage system only): Very good; American University in Cairo CGPA: 3.3; English translation or equivalent: 2:1)
- Egyptian arts classification: 65-79%; Egyptian sciences classification: 65-74% (alternative name (percentage system only): Good; American University in Cairo CGPA: 2.7; English translation or equivalent: 2:2).
Research degree entry requirements
- For entry onto our research degree courses, students should normally have a Master’s degree from a UK university or a recognised university in Egypt.
- Applicants are strongly urged to contact potential supervisors within the department before submitting a research application.
Find out about our international scholarships.