BA Essay and dissertation resources
On this page you will find all the information that you will need for submitting your essays and dissertations.
Our regulations are explained more fully in the undergraduate programme handbooks, which can be found here.
Mitigating Circumstances information can be found here.
Submitting your essay
- Autumn term deadline: Monday 12th December 2011, 18:00
- Spring term deadline: Monday 19th March 2012, 18:00
Both the hard copy and electronic copy must be received by the Office by the stipulated deadlines. Extensions cannot be granted under any circumstances and there is no 'grace period'.No exceptions can be made by any individual member of staff, including Office staff. The penalty for late submission, in all circumstances, is imposition of the pass mark (40) if it is of a standard to pass. The removal of this penalty can be sanctioned only through the mitigating circumstances procedure (see the above link).
- Essays for all Group I courses should be around 1,500-2,000 words. Essays for all Group II and Group III courses should be around 2,500-3,000 words.
- These limits include footnotes, but exclude the bibliography and any appendices. The latter should be used for tables, images, or similar, and must be referred to in the essay. Historians are usually expected to write to a word limit when they publish their work.
- Students are strongly encouraged to avoid writing essays that are visibly very long or very short. Please ask your tutor if you need further advice.
- One Hardcopy should be submitted to the School Office and electronic version uploaded to Moodle. The hardcopy must be submitted with a cover sheet:
- Essay cover sheet
- Standardised mark sheets are now compulsory for lecturers to use when submitting marks to the office. The forms can be downloaded below:
- Group 1 Mark sheet
- Group 2/3 Mark sheet
- All final year students are required to submit a dissertation in their final year.
- You must submit TWO typed and bound copies of your dissertation. Each must have a different cover sheet, which can be downloaded below:
Dissertation cover sheet A
Dissertation cover sheet B