Dr Karen Hudson-Edwards
Reader in Environmental Geochemistry and Mineralogy
Room 607, Malet St
Birkbeck, University of London
tel: 0203 073 8030
As an environmental geochemist / mineralogist I am interested in the processes and products of the biogeochemical cycling of contaminants and nutrients in mine wastes, waters, dusts and contaminated land.
Environmental Geochemistry & Mineralogy Research Group
- Pat Acero. Reactivity of aluminium sulphate minerals in mine wastes (RASMIM)
- Water risk and its management in Bolivia's altiplano development strategy .
- David Kossoff. The As-Sb-Fe-O system: implications for As and Sb mobility in the environment
- Ilan Adler. Efficiency of silver treatment of rainwater
- Peter Cogram. Silver and gold in jarosite
- Brian Craik-Smith. Origin of V-, Cu-, Ni-, As- and Ag-bearing concretions in red bed sediments
- Sarah-Jane Gill. The relationship between magnetite and Cu/Ag mineralisation of the Kalahari Copperbelt, Namibia
- Chris Hibbert. Chemical variations in rivers due to continental weathering over a full monsoon cycle, Goa, India
- Angela Stewart. Dissolution of goethite in the presence of fulvic acid and siderophores
- Cat Tame. Controls on lead and zinc fluxes to mining-affected rivers
November 2013a: Elements Mine Wastes article free download this month!
November 2013b: New paper in GCA: Synthesis, characterization and thermochemistry of synthetic Pb-As, Pb-Cu and Pb-Zn jarosites'
November 2013c: New open access paper 'Arsenic-microbe-mineral interactions in mining-affected environments'
October 2013: New PhD student Sarah-Jane Gill: The relationship between magnetite and Cu/Ag sulphide mineralisation of the Kalahari Copperbelt in Eastern Namibia
September 2013: I am guest-editing a special issue of the journal Minerals on the topic of 'Mine Waste Characterization, Management and Remediation'. Please consider submitting a manuscript to this issue. The deadline for submissions is the 31st December 2013. Please see this website for more details.