Dr Karen Hudson-Edwards
Reader in Environmental Geochemistry and Mineralogy
Room 607, Malet St
Birkbeck, University of London
tel: 0203 073 8030
I am an environmental geochemist / mineralogist interested in the processes and products of the biogeochemical cycling of contaminants and nutrients in mine wastes, waters, dusts and contaminated land.
Environmental Geochemistry & Mineralogy Research Group
- Pat Acero. Reactivity of aluminium sulphate minerals in mine wastes (RASMIM)
- Water risk and its management in Bolivia's altiplano development strategy .
- David Kossoff. The As-Sb-Fe-O system: implications for As and Sb mobility in the environment
- Peter Cogram. Silver and gold in jarosite
- Brian Craik-Smith. Origin of V-, Cu-, Ni-, As- and Ag-bearing concretions in red bed sediments
- Sarah-Jane Gill. The relationship between magnetite and Cu/Ag mineralisation of the Kalahari Copperbelt, Namibia
- Elisa Guerrero Moreno. Living with mine waste: developing a decision-making tool for reducing water contamination risk
- Chris Hibbert. Chemical variations in rivers due to continental weathering over a full monsoon cycle, Goa, India
- Angela Stewart. Dissolution of goethite in the presence of fulvic acid and siderophores
- Cat Tame. Controls on lead and zinc fluxes to mining-affected rivers
March 2014: Papers are now available for the special issue of Minerals on the topic of 'Mine Waste Characterization, Management and Remediation'. Please check back frequently for updates.
March 2014: New PhD student Elisa Guerrero Moreno started her NERC-funded project 'Living with Mine Waste: Developing a Decision-Making Tool for Reducing Water Contamination Risk'. Elisa is co-supervised by myself, Dr Stephen Edwards (UCL), (Catholic Agency for Overseas Development) and Dr Gerardo Zamora Echenique (Universidad Tecnica de Oruru).
February 2014: Pat Acero and Karen Hudson-Edwards have been successful in obtaining NERC funding to carry out work at the Facility for Environmental Nanoparticle Analysis and Characterization (FENAC) at Birmingham. See here for more details.
January 2014: Accepted invitations to be a keynote speaker for the sessions 'Elements Journal: 10 Years Old' and 'Genetic Alterations of Mine Tailings in Depositional Environments' at the upcoming Goldschmidt conference in Sacramento, California, in June 2014.
November 2013: New paper in GCA: Synthesis, characterization and thermochemistry of synthetic Pb-As, Pb-Cu and Pb-Zn jarosites'
November 2013: New open access paper 'Arsenic-microbe-mineral interactions in mining-affected environments'
October 2013: New PhD student Sarah-Jane Gill: The relationship between magnetite and Cu/Ag sulphide mineralisation of the Kalahari Copperbelt in Eastern Namibia