World-class research resources
As a student at Birkbeck, you'll get access to some excellent resources to help you while you're studying.
- Birkbeck Library: All the books and journal articles referred to on your reading lists should be held in Birkbeck Library. If they are not, or if you need further material, you may be able to borrow from other libraries nearby, or at least use them for reference.
- The University of London Research Library Services (ULRLS): these comprise, collectively, the libraries at the centre of London University – the Senate House Library, and those of the Institutes of the School of Advanced Study.
- Little Magazines, Alternative Press & Poetry Store Collections: The Little Magazines Collection was set up in 1964 as a Library initiative with the original aim of collecting all current UK little magazines and small press publications; this was soon broadened to include North American, Commonwealth, and a smaller number of significant European titles.
- Other libraries in the Bloomsbury area: there are many excellent libraries within easy reach of Birkbeck.
- Library access schemes: you are entitled to use many other libraries, both in London and throughout the UK.
Reading and seminar groups
- We provide seminar rooms, funding (currently £250 annually) and advice for a wide range of student-led reading groups.
- Currently active groups include the Contemporary Gothic, Getting Out of Ourselves, Hegel, Modernist, Space, Theatre Salon, Early Modern, Nineteenth-Century, and Postcolonial Studies Reading Groups.