Professor of Mathematics
MA(Oxon), MSc(Manchester), PhD(UMIST)
- Product-free sets
- Coxeter Groups
- Commuting Graphs
- Overview of my research
- Publications and working papers (my Erdös number is 3)
- Head (aka "Assistant Dean") of the Department of Economics, Mathematics and Statistics
- Head of the Mathematics Research Group
- Member of the Department's Athena Swan Self Assessment Team.
- Member of Department Teaching Committee and Research Committee
This academic year (2016 - 17) I have a lighter teaching load because of my duties as Head of Department. I will be teaching the MSc modules Group Theory and Writing Mathematics. Course materials will become available in stages as I prefer not to hand out things like solutions to exercises before there has been time to try them yourselves first - it's just too tempting to look at the answers and mathematics is best learned by doing, not reading through solutions! You don't need to print things out unless you want extra copies; I will hand out the materials you need in lectures. All resources like lecture notes and coursework will go on .
Links and Resources
- Mathematics Research Group
- You can watch my inaugural lecture over in the right-hand sidebar.
- As a female Mathematics Professor my opinion was sought when the Fields Medal was won in 2014 for the first time by a woman. You can see a clip here from an interview for the BBC.
- A page for Mathematics and Statistics staff with various useful links and documentation is here. You will be prompted to login.