Training / continuing professional development
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) is an important way to ensure individuals within a business or organisation are consistently capable of meeting the responsibilities required for their roles.
At Birkbeck, we work with a range of organisations to provide high-quality staff development opportunities.
- Each year hundreds of businesses, public sector organisations and charities use Birkbeck's evening programmes to help their staff gain high-level skills. More than 750 employer-sponsored students have attended our courses, around half of whom have been funded by a private sector employer.
- Check our full list of courses to find the best course for you and your organisation.
- Time to Train: find out about the right employees have to request time to undertake study or training (also known as 'time to train').
- Contact us to discuss your specific organisational requirements.
- Your organisation can access expertise directly by having workshops delivered at your premises, or here at Birkbeck, with content tailored to cover the specific challenges you are facing. We currently offer the following workshops:
- Business language courses: We offer language training to organisations and companies, tailored to your specific requirements.
- Business Planning using Spreadsheets (MS Excel): This workshop is designed for those seeking to improve their understanding of business planning and in particular the application of spreadsheets in analysis planning and control within a small business.
- Counselling Skills and Perspectives for Managers and Professionals: Teaching staff from the Department of Organizational Psychology offer a flexible training package for HR managers and outplacement professionals.
- Change Management: This workshop is aimed at experienced managers who wish to understand the dynamics of the changes affecting their organisations.
- Finance for Managers: This workshop provides an introduction and brief overview of the accounting process.
- Handling Media Interviews: This workshop is designed for those who may be asked to be an organisation’s spokesperson in a media interview.
- People and Performance: This workshop provides participants with the opportunity and skills to critically evaluate approaches to managing performance.
- Presentation Skills: This workshop is aimed at organisations which need to train staff to make presentations whether internally or to a wider audience.
- Strategic Management: This workshop is suitable for managers and other professionals who wish to develop their strategic management skills and knowledge.
- Contact us to find out more about any of these workshops.
Workshops at Birkbeck
- We offer workshops at Birkbeck, on a range of topics. Check our workshops index to find out more.
Working with union learning representatives
- Our Outreach and Widening Participation team work closely with Union Learning Representatives, visiting the workplace as part of Learning at Work events.
- We can arrange to:
- deliver lunchtime talks
- host exhibition stands
- arrange taster sessions in a number of subject areas for example, languages, politics or creative writing
- Contact us to find out more.
- Find out more about our 10% discount for members of trade unions that are affiliated to the TUC.