The Birkbeck Institute for Social Research
A great place for research
The Birkbeck Institute for Social Research is the hub for Sociology at Birkbeck, which has risen 15 places in the REF2014 rankings, and is now 13th in the UK.
Social science hub
We are a focal point for the support, dissemination and discussion of critical and publicly engaged social science in London and beyond.
New BISR Blog
We are delighted to announce that the Birkbeck Institute Interns have launched a blog for BISR
The blog aims to provide a focal point for the varied activities that occur under the auspices of the BISR.
Hear about our upcoming events
- 03 March 2017: Decolonising Witchcraft: Implications for Knowledge and Health
- 04 March 2017: BIMI in collaboration with Birkbeck Gender & Sexuality Group (BiGS) presents: Breaking the Waves
- 10 March 2017: To Act To Know To Be: Solo exhibition around gesture, process and language
- 17 March 2017: BISR Political and Social Theory Seminar - In Defence of Bad Citizenship: Incivility, Injustice and Dissent
- 22 March 2017: BISR Methods Lunch - Methods on the Move: Walking, Sensing, Belonging
- 29 March 2017: Crossing the Mediterranean Sea by Boat: Human Dignity and Biophysical Violence
- 05 June 2017: Mapping the Role of ‘Transnational Family Habitus’ in the Lives and Identity of Black Minority Ethnic Young People