Who we work with
Our team works with a wide range of partners across London, ranging from Further Education Colleges, University of London institutions, community organisations, local authorities and adult learning services.
At Birkbeck, we recognise that not everyone takes the same routes into university study. As a part of our commitment to supporting students from these various educational pathways, we have a unique offer for applications from students studying at our partner further education and sixth-form colleges.
We have particular relationships with the organisations below.
City and Islington College
- We support two City and Islington College centres: Business, Arts and Technology, and Applied Sciences. We deliver programmes of outreach focused on careers and employability, concentrating on sourcing and making job applications, and also supporting their GCSE Mathematics students.
City of Westminster College
- We work with City of Westminster College to promote higher education and raise aspirations. We work with BTEC students, offering academic study skills programmes and provide careers information, advice and guidance. In addition, we run university admissions overview training and reference writing support, to tutors and faculties.
Haringey Sixth Form College
- The ongoing relationship between Birkbeck and Haringey Council centres on providing educational opportunities in the borough. We are working in collaboration with Haringey Sixth Form College to support their learners with PiXL Edge, an outstanding qualification designed to engage, inspire and challenge students. This prepares them exceptionally well for the next stage of their lives by enabling them to cultivate and accredit their transferable skills.
The ClementJames Centre
- Birkbeck support this award-winning educational charity with two of their adult learning programmes, Community Hub and Communicate.
- We are a provider for the IntoUniversity Supplementary Schools Project and work closely on a range of initiatives.
- For example, in April 2017, we hosted the Family Learning conference in partnership. The day was a fantastic showcase of the current work happening across the education and community sectors, but also provided the delegates with practical support and workshops on how they are able to embed Family Learning into their work. We had speakers from the former National Institute of Adult Continuing Education (now the Learning and Work Institute), the National Resource Centre for Supplementary Education, UCL Institute of Education, Birkbeck Widening Access team, Haringey Adult Learning Services, University of Nottingham, IntoUniversity Nottingham and the Museum of London.
- More information and activity from the day can be found using the hashtag #FamilyLearning on Twitter.
Haringey Council: Bridges to Birkbeck
- Our has allowed us to work in partnership with Haringey Council to bring educational options to people living and working in the borough. The programme has also been successfully introduced in Tottenham.
If you are interested in hosting an outreach programme in your borough to support the regeneration or promotion of higher education, please contact us.