refers to any educational activity that involves both children and adult family members, where learning outcomes are intended for both. Parents and other family members are critical to the progression and success of a child’s future. This contributes to a culture of learning in the family. However, in addition to setting a positive example, adults should also be able to commence their own learning journey.
- Our aims are to support social mobility, encourage adults to behave as agents of change for their young people, raise the profile of Birkbeck, University of London, provide a bridge to Birkbeck and provide information, advice and guidance on careers and education.
Organisations we work with
- Housing associations
- University of London colleges
- Further education and sixth form colleges
- Local councils and their adult learning services
Examples of previous workshops delivered
- Study skills
- Introduction to higher education
- Is university for me?
- Information stand at partner University of London institutions Widening Participation events
- Information session at college or school parents/carers evening
If you work with young people, parents/carers or families and would like us to deliver a Family Learning programme at your organisation, please contact us.
Find out more about Family Learning from the Learning and Work Institute.