Birkbeck is proud to have a number of strategically important partnerships with some of the world’s leading universities.
All of Birkbeck’s international partnerships have been designed to allow the free exchange of ideas and to promote training for academic staff, whilst progression agreements have been articulated to allow overseas students to combine their studies with a degree at Birkbeck.
- Birkbeck signed an agreement with South Western University of Finance and Economics in Chengdu on 22 June 2011. A dual degree has been agreed, whereby up to 15 selected students from SWUFE will come to London to study at Birkbeck for the second year of their SWUFE Master's Degree, during which time they will complete one of the Master's degree programmes in the Department of Management.
- Birkbeck signed an agreement with Dongbei University of Finance and Economics, Dalian, on the 18th July 2012. Up to 15 students from DUFE will study for a one-year Master’s in the Department of Management at Birkbeck. This will form the second year of a three-year Chinese Master’s programme and the students will graduate with dual degrees. Three PhD students from DUFE will be selected to study at Birkbeck. They will have the option to study in a mixed-mode model, completing the first year of study in London and the remainder of the programme in China.
- Birkbeck’s School of Social Sciences, History and Philosophy has a successful Chinese collaboration with the School of Foreign Languages, Beijing Institute of Technology, one of the national key universities in China. The partnership involves visiting students taking modules and programmes in the Department of Applied Linguistics & Communication. This collaboration also includes a reciprocal staff exchange.
University of Sao Paolo
- Since 2010, the Department of Psychosocial Studies at Birkbeck has had a formal link with the Department of Social Psychology and the Psychology Institute at the University of São Paulo, Brazil. The partnership includes staff and student exchanges.
Hong Kong Shue Yan University
- Birkbeck’s School of Law signed an agreement with Hong Kong Shue Yan University on 30 November 2013. The new Trans-jurisdictional Legal Theory and Policy Research Centre, hosted at Shue Yan University, is a major part of the collaboration. This Centre will enable scholars from the participating universities to develop comparative research projects and visit each other’s institutions to teach. The other element is an agreement to admit up to 15 students per year from Shue Yan University onto the School of Law’s Qualifying Law Degree (LLM) programme.
Birkbeck also has agreements with the following global universities:
- Northwestern Polytechnical University, Xian
- Columbia University
- The Federal University of Goias
- The State University of Rio de Janeiro
- Villanova University
- University of Pretoria