Birkbeck, University of London is an exempt charity under the terms of the Charities Act. Under the Charities Act 2011, universities are supervised by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) as principal regulator, who are charged with ensuring the Universities fulfil their obligations under Charity Law.
Legal name and correspondence address
- The College's full legal name is Birkbeck College, University of London, but it operates under its preferred name 'Birkbeck, University of London'.
- The correspondence address for the College is: Birkbeck, University of London, Malet Street, London WC1E 7HX
- The College is incorporated by Royal Charter and does not have a 'registered charity number'. The College has an Inland Revenue Claim number, X23617, which demonstrates that the Revenue accepts the College’s charitable status.
- The College is a higher education institution incorporated by Royal Charter (England/Wales), number RC000048.
- The College is VAT-registered; the registration number is GB 233 7587 46. The College is partially exempt from VAT legislation as a supplier of education and research.
- The Governing Body, the governing and executive body of the College, is its Trustee Board. Members of the Governing Body are therefore the Trustees of the College.
- The following is a list of the current Governors who are trustees of other charitable organisations:
- Dr Eddie Bruce-Jones - UK Lesbian and Gay Immigration Group, Institute for Race Relations
- David Kirkman - Birkbeck College Students' Union
- Professor David Latchman – Mansion House Scholarship Scheme
- Harvey McGrath (Chair) – Princes Teaching Institute, iCould, CFAB, Heart of the City, New Philanthropy Capital, Mayors Fund for London, Frontline, Funding London, London Stanstead Cambridge Commission, Cambrdige University Campaign Board
- Liz Meek – McPin Foundation, Sanctuary Housing, Centre for London, Film London,
- Stuart Popham – Royal National Lifeboat Institution, Royal Institute of International Affairs, Chichester Harbour Trust
- Dr Ruth Thompson – Royal College of Psychiatrists, Staffordshire University
- Professor Sasha Roseneil - Women's Therapy Centre