Sir Bernard Schreier postgraduate scholarships
Thanks to a generous donation to Birkbeck, we are pleased to offer postgraduate scholarships of £5000 each for up to four Birkbeck alumni who will begin postgraduate study with us in the 2017/18 academic year.
The Scholarship is a non-repayable award towards tuition fees of £5000 for full-time taught postgraduate courses and £2500 per year (for a maximum of two years) for part-time taught postgraduate courses.
Applications are now closed for the 2017/18 academic year. We expect applications to open for the 2018/19 academic year in April 2018.
- To be eligible for the Sir Bernard Schreier Postgraduate Scholarships you must:
- be applying to the first year of a taught master's degree (ie MSc, MA, or LLM only) in the 2017/18 academic year. You do not need to have received an outcome to your course application in order to submit an application.
- have successfully completed an undergraduate degree at Birkbeck and achieved a 2:1 or higher
- 'Home' or EU fees student
- have made sufficient financial provision to meet the remaining costs associated with your fees and other course costs
- if necessary, be applying for a Government Postgraduate Student Loan or a Professional and Career Development Loan, if you are eligible to do so
- not be a current debtor to the College
- meet the income criteria (see below).
- You must have a gross annual household income (including partner's income, if relevant) for the 2016-17 tax year that falls into one of the below categories:
- single student, no dependent children: up to £28,065
- single student, one dependent child: up to £30,065
- single student, two dependent children: up to £31,065 (if you have more than two dependent children, add an extra £1000 for each additional child)
- married/partnered student, no dependent children: up to £30,065
- married/partnered student, one dependent child: up to £32,065
- married/partnered student, two dependent children: up to £33,065 (if you have more than two dependent children, add an extra £1000 for each additional child).
How and when to apply
- If you have already applied for the Birkbeck Postgraduate Bursary and meet the additional eligibility criteria, you will be considered for both awards and do not need to apply for the Sir Bernard Schreier Scholarships. Successful applicants will only receive the Scholarship.
- Once you have applied for your course and checked your eligibility, download and complete the and guidance notes. (Please note: if your application form is incomplete, missing any pages, or does not include the required supporting documents we will not be able to consider your application.)
- We can only process applications once you have applied for a place on a course. You do not need to have received an outcome of your course application in order to apply for the Scholarship.
- Once you have completed your application form you will need to return it (with all supporting documents) by post to Student Services, Birkbeck University of London, Malet Street, London, WC1E 7HX. We do not accept applications by email.