How and when to pay
You will be asked. Your options are to:
- agree to apply for a student loan (e.g. the or the postgraduate loan): we will enrol you (granting you access to Birkbeck services including the library and computer access) on the basis that you promise to subsequently complete your application for a government loan.
- set up a .
Payment by direct debit
- If you are not getting a government loan or being sponsored by your employer, you will need to pay by direct debit. Many students choose to pay using our interest-free monthly instalment plan.
- You can enter the details of your UK bank account safely and securely on your My Birkbeck student profile (you will need your ITS username and password to login to the system).
- You can pay using any of the following:
- Visa debit
- Switch/UK Maestro
- Note: We are not able to accept payment by American Express or Euro Maestro.
- We use Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology, which is an industry standard for internet payments to ensure the security of your card details. This means all of your personal and card details are protected using 128-bit encryption when your details are transmitted over the Internet. (A closed padlock in the bottom right-hand corner of your browser window will assure you of this.
Payment arrangements for international students
- If you open a UK bank account, which allows for direct debit payments, you will be able to . There are no additional credit charges or administrative fees if you pay this way.
- If you do not have a UK bank account, you can pay:
- in full (using your credit card)
- by three termly instalments by credit card (Visa/MasterCard)
- via electronic transfer (BACs payment). There are no additional credit charges or administrative fees from Birkbeck for using this method of payment, but you should check to see if your bank will charge you for this service. Otherwise, please contact the Income Office if you have questions about this service.
Payment arrangements for employer-sponsored students
- Birkbeck's unique model of study is valued by employers, many of whom encourage their employees to study here by sponsoring them.
- If your employee (or another organisation) has agreed to pay all or part of your fees for you, you need to follow these steps before you will be able to enrol on your course:
- You need to get your sponsor to .
- If they are only paying part of your fees, please ensure this is clearly specified on the sponsor form. You will need to pay the balance of the fees due or otherwise arrange payment of fees in order to complete enrolment.
- You then need to deliver the completed form to Birkbeck (check the right-hand side of this page (or below if you are on a mobile) for full contact details.
- Once we have received your completed form, we will then invoice your sponsor directly, and you will be able to enrol on your course.
- Please note that payment terms for sponsors are strictly 28 days from date of invoice. If your sponsor does not pay your fees, you will be personally liable to pay the fees in full.