Accommodation for Clearing applicants

If you've recently secured a place through Clearing at Birkbeck, this page will tell you all you need to know about accommodation.

Nominated rooms in partner halls

  • While Birkbeck does not own halls of residence, a number of rooms are reserved for Birkbeck students in partner halls of residence. Students with an unconditional offer to study full time at Birkbeck can apply for a room in a partner hall (most are placed in University of London intercollegiate halls).
  • Availability is limited, with most vacancies at The Gardens hall (standard superior non-catered; single in townhouse non-catered; single en-suite catered). Demand for nominated rooms usually exceeds supply; therefore, we cannot guarantee that every applicant will be offered a room.
  • It is expected that all rooms will be allocated by Birkbeck Accommodation by 25 August. After this date, until 31 August, rooms may become available if students withdraw. No room will be offered after 31 August 2017.

University of London waiting list

Private and charitable halls

  • London has a variety of independent private halls of residence, offering a large range of accommodation from dorms to flats.
  • You must apply directly to the halls for a space. Applications are usually dealt with on a first-come first-served basis.

University of London’s Housing Services (ULHS) - Help with private accommodation

  • If you prefer to rent in the private sector your first point of call should be the University of London’s Housing Services, which is based in Student Central, next door to our main building on Malet Street. ULHS offers a range of services to assist and support students who are looking for and living in private accommodation. Their database includes properties from private landlords as well as letting agents.
  • ULHS’s house-hunting days are a great way to start your search for private accommodation. Book your place for this popular event taking place on 15 and 18 September 2017.
  • The experienced Housing Advice Team offers a contract checking service; you can have your tenancy agreement checked before you sign it. They also provide legal advice for those who are experiencing problems with private accommodation such as disputes with landlords.
  • The ULHS Private Housing Guide provides information about finding, securing and overcoming problems with private student accommodation in London.