10 good reasons
With more than 1.3 million members working across the public services, being part of UNISON means you have the full weight of the UK's biggest trade union behind you.
- You can earn more: Year on year, UNISON wins pay rises for its members. Pay negotiations are conducted nationally, but all union members are consulted on annual pay rises and as a Unison member, you will be consulted too.
- You're more likely to get equal pay: UNISON is campaigning to bring women's pay into line with men's. At Birkbeck, Unison was a member of the negotiating group that ensured all staff at Birkbeck had their jobs anonymously evaluated and compared under Hay.
- You get more holiday: UNISON has won increased leave for many of its members wherever they work. In 2004, Birkbeck Unison negotiated five extra days for our members - two years before harmonisation of annual leave was introduced at Birkbeck.
- You get more and better training: UNISON provides courses to help you learn new skills, improve existing ones and develop your career. If you become a member of the Unison branch committee, we will ensure you get appropriate training with paid time off.
- You get better maternity leave or parental leave: Birkbeck Unison helped to negotiate the current parental leave policies, which are more generous than the statutory minimum.
- You're less likely to be injured at work: UNISON health and safety stewards are trained to minimise the risk of workplace injuries and ensure that employers meet their legal obligations.
- If you do get injured at work, you'll get better compensation: UNISON wins millions in legal compensation for people who are injured or become ill at work. We won over £37 million in 2004 for members and their families.
- You're less likely to be discriminated against: UNISON campaigns for tougher laws to make it illegal to discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, disability or sexual orientation. Black and Asian trade unionists earn 32 per cent more than non-unionised colleagues.
- You can help keep our public services public: UNISON campaigns against all forms of privatisation, including PFI and foundation hospitals. Where our members have been transferred to the private sector we have won them pay and employment protections.
- You're less likely to be sacked: Trade union members are only half as likely to be sacked as non members. In Birkbeck Unison, we support members facing disciplinary hearings or unsatisfactory six-month probation hearings.