With more than 400 million Spanish speakers and 200 million Portuguese speakers across the world, increasing your knowledge of the language, history and culture of the Ibero-American world can open up enormous opportunities.
- Watch our video, explaining more about what it's like to study here.
- See current timetables, term dates, handbooks about what’s on offer this year and information on support and facilities.
- Come along to one of our open evenings to find out more.
- You can find out about tuition fees on individual course pages and direct any questions about funding to our financial support team.
- Order a printed prospectus / book a place at our next Open Evening
Students choose to follow our courses for a number of reasons, among them:
- We offer a wide range of Portuguese language courses and Spanish language courses, taught at all levels. Our courses embrace the language, history, culture, cinema and art of Spanish- and Portuguese-speaking societies. Find out more about the courses we teach and apply online.
- We offer MPhil/PhD research opportunities for a wide range of subjects, and every year we are joined by an engaged and dynamic community of research students.
- The high number of Spanish and Latin American undergraduates and postgraduates who study with us bring a particular richness and variety of experience and knowledge to your learning experience.
- You will be studying in the heart of London's University quarter in Bloomsbury, minutes away from world-class institutions such as the British Museum, the British Library and Senate House Library. Enjoy the atmosphere of one of the world's most exciting cultural hubs.
- We offer field trips to Spain and Portugal to visit museums and offer students insights into the culture and society of these countries.
- As a student at Birkbeck, you will get access to a range of student support and research facilities, including financial support.
- You will be taught by staff engaged in world-class research who bring their passion for their research to the classroom.
- As a college of the University of London, Birkbeck awards .
If you wish to learn more about your prospects as a Cultures and Languages student, consult these podcasts.