Our research is well known, both nationally and internationally.
We are actively conducting research in a number of areas and offer supervision for MPhil/PhD students in all these areas:
- adult education and lifelong learning
- part-time study and higher education policy
- work-based learning
- youth, community and voluntary sector studies
- social policy, ageing and life course studies
- local government and citizenship studies
Find out more about:
- our staff research interests
- our current research projects
- Handbook for MPhil/PhD Research Students 2010-11.
- If you are interested in pursuing MPhil/PhD study in our department, you should contact Dr Linda Milbourne, Postgraduate Research Director, or a member of staff whose research interests reflect your own in the first instance.
- Advice for prospective applicants is available on the School website at http://www.bbk.ac.uk/sshp/prospective-students/studying-for-a-phd
We have several research centres, which offer a focus for staff as well as research students, and colleagues beyond Birkbeck:
- Birkbeck Institute for Lifelong Learning: This Institute acts as a hub for interdisciplinary and cross-disciplinary research into education.
- International Centre for Education for Democratic Citizenship: This joint centre between Birkbeck and the Institute of Education builds on the existing strengths of the two institutions.
- Birkbeck Institute for Social Research: We are linked to this institute, which brings together scholars from across the College and beyond and takes an active role in promoting social research.