Document Actions

This page is intended as a resource for academic and teaching staff. If you have a suggestion for any information which could be useful to share, additions to the FAQs, or if any information is found to be inaccurate, out-of-date or if links are broken, please contact

Useful Information

Birkbeck Rules and Regulations

Staff Development Courses

Programme and Module Amendment Forms

  • An up-to-date list of academic procedure forms and templates is maintained by Registry, including module proposal forms, module amendment forms and programme amendment forms.

Frequently Asked Questions

Academic Staff

  • I have expenses to submit. Where can I find the staff expenses form?

  • Can I submit credit card receipts only?

  • There are problems with the fittings in my room (e.g. broken windows/furniture). Whom should I contact?
    Submit a works request form through the Estates and Facilities helpdesk.
  • My room is too cold/hot. Whom should I contact?
    Submit a works request form through the Estates and Facilities helpdesk.
  • I have problems with my computer/printer. Whom should I contact?
    Contact the ITS Service Desk on  [020 7631] 6543 or email
  • How much notice should I give to book a centrally allocated room?
    Rooms should be booked at least 48 hours in advance of the event. However, space is at a premium within the College so the more notice that you give, the more likely you are to get the room you want. School-owned meeting rooms can be booked with shorter notice.
  • What meeting rooms are available within the School?
    The following rooms are SSHP meeting rooms:
    • B01, 30 Russell Square;
    • 501, 30 Russell Square;
    • 202 (Dreyfus Room), 28 Russell Square;
    • G14, 26 Russell Square (staff room, cannot be booked between 12.00 and 14.00);
    • 115, 26 Russell Square (Fridays only); and
    • Paul Hirst, 10 Gower Street (may only be booked up to 1 month in advance).
  • How do I book SSHP Meeting Rooms (e.g. 501 or Dreyfus Room)?
    School-owned meeting rooms are booked separately; the relevant departmental administratorcan make the booking for you.
  • What catering is available at Birkbeck?
    Catering guidelines and sample menus are available from the Room Bookings team.
  • How do I request catering for an event?
    The departmental administrators can make the booking for you; please let the team leader know what catering is required for your event as she will approve the expenditure.
  • I want to book an external caterer. Whom should I contact?
    Please inform Paula Fortune of your requirements, as she will approve the expenditure.
  • What facilities do Birkbeck rooms have?
    The Room Bookings team maintains a directory of available rooms, with pictures and a list of facilities.
  • Where is my teaching room?
    Interactive and downloadable maps for Birkbeck buildings are available from the main College website.
  • Where do I find login details for an external venue?
  • I have Moodle technical queries. Whom should I contact?
    For basic Moodle queries, contact the relevant course administrator for the programme. For more advanced queries, or to arrange additional Moodle training, contact the Learning Technology Team (TEL Group on the ITS Staff List).
  • I need to set up an event. What do I need to do?
    For teaching events, contact the relevant course administrator for the programme that the event relates to. For other events, contact the administrative team leader.
  • Where do I find additional paper and toner for my printer?
    Paper is kept by the main photocopier in the mezzanine: please take however much you need. We keep a small amount of printer cartridges in stock, but otherwise it can be ordered. Please let administrative team leader know what you need, quoting the printer make and model and the cartridge number (usually 36A, 36B, etc.).
  • Where do I put outgoing external mail?
    There is a mailbag at the attendant's desk in reception. You will need to write our mail code (45) on the envelope.

T&S Staff

  • What is the staff room available in 26 Russell Square?
  • What is the password for the photocopier in 26 Russell Square?
  • I cannot log in to my IT account. Whom should I contact?
  • I would like to invite a guest lecturer to one of my classes. Whom should I contact?
  • Where can I find the electronic claim form for my additional expenses?
  • Where can I find my payslips?

Exam Boards

  • How do I appoint an external examiner?
  • Mitigating Circumstances Information