Dr Margarita Palacios
PhD Sociology (New School for Social Research, New York )
30 Russell Square
Department of Psychosocial Studies
Birkbeck College, University of London
London WC1B 5DT
Tel: 020 3073 8016
Fax: 020 7631 6312
Teaching and research
- During the last few years my research has mainly focused on the understanding of the intersections between state violence, sexuality, nationalism and subjectivity in the context of post-conflict societies and also in the context of stable democracies.
- My current research project focuses on the analysis forms of violence where there seems to be a search not of exclusion of otherness (as it is the case in political violence), but a search of ‘togetherness’ through the death of the other and the death of the self.
- My second area of interest is the relation between philosophy and psychoanalysis, particularly the influences of existential phenomenology and hermeneutics in what appears to be strictly post-structuralist thinking.
- Politics, Culture and Psychoanalytic Theory; Social Theory and Social Philosophy; Studies on Violence and 'otherness'; Language, Power and Knowledge; Cultural Sociology and Social Change; Latin America.
- Palacios, Margarita (forthcoming) Radical Sociality: Studies on Violence, Disobedience and Belonging. Palgrave.
- Palacios, Margarita (2009) Fantasy and Political violence: The meanings of anti-communism in Chile. VS Verlag für Sozialwissenschaften, Wiesbaden: Germany
- Valdés, X., Palacios, M., Castelain-Meunier (2007) Masculine and Feminine in Contemporary Families LOM , Chile.
- Martinez, J., Palacios, M. (1996)The Culture of Decency. A Study on the Paradoxical Effects of Social Policies Against Poverty. Ediciones SUR, Chile.
- Palacios, M "Decolonizing trauma and the ethics of anxious witnessing" (under review for edited volume Shared Traumas: Silent Loss, Public and Private Mourning, Karnac Books)
- Palacios, M. "Hermeneutics and the Art of Disobedience: A Critical Reading of Ricoeur and Derrida" (in Disobedience, ed. by Elena Loizidou, Routledge, forthcoming)
- Palacios, M. ( 2011) Psychoanalysis, Culture & Society. “A Psychosocial Interpretation of Political Violence: Chile 1970-1973”, Psychoanalysis, Culture and Society, Vol. 16, 3, 244–260
- Palacios, M., Cordero, R. (2010) “Social Ties, Youth and Normative Transgression: Conceptual and Methodological Issues in the Study of Social Cohesion in Latin America”, Latin American Research Review, Vol. 45 Issue 2
- Palacios, M, Cardenas, A. (2009) “Youth Employability and Normative Ambiguity”, in Revista Observatorio de la Juventud, Año 6, Número 21.
- Palacios, M., Cardenas, A. (2008) Social Ties, Individualization and School Learning. Revista Chilena de Sociología, N. 21
- Palacios, M., Martinez, J. (2006) Liberalism and Conservatism in Chile: Analysis of Women´s Attitudes and Opinions at the End of the 20th Century”, Journal of Latin American Studies, Vol. 38, p. 1-34. London, Cambridge University Press.
- Palacios, M. (2004) On Sacredness and Transgression: Understanding Social Antagonism. Psychoanalysis, Culture & Society ,Vol. 9, N. 3, pp. 284-297(14)
Chapters in edited books
- Palacios, M. “Between Fantasy and Melancholia: Lack, Otherness and Violence”, in Nationalism and the Body Politic, ed by Lene Auestad, Karnac Books, forthcoming)
- Palacios, M and Posocco, S (2011) ‘War and the politics of sexual violence’, in Seidman, S. et al (Eds) The New Sexuality Studies, (London and New York: Routledge)