The Birkbeck experience
Birkbeck is different: our classes are held in the evening so your days are free - to study, work, volunteer or just do your own thing.
We know the conventional university model isn’t right for everyone. Our evening teaching gives people who care about their future something special: the opportunity to study at a world class, research-intensive university and progress their life goals at the same time.
With a global reputation for high-quality research and teaching, Birkbeck is part of the prestigious University of London, alongside University College London, King’s College London and the London School of Economics and Political Science, among others.
Build your own Birkbeck experience
- At Birkbeck you can choose as much or as little of the standard university experience as you like. You might work during the day, study in one of Bloomsbury’s world-famous libraries or do something completely different. Many people are drawn to Birkbeck because we support and and enable diverse life choices.
- The combination of evening study and a city-centre location offer you exceptional opportunities. Our main campus is next to other universities, surrounded by world-famous museums and galleries and in the heart of corporate and governmental London.
- With the West End, Soho, Covent Garden and King’s Cross on our doorstep you can take full advantage of London’s world-famous shops, restaurants, bars, theatres and clubs before and after your evening classes. Everything that London has to offer is here for you to enjoy.
- In addition, you will have access to the sport facilities, societies, music venues, bars and cafes of Student Central, right next door to our main building in Bloomsbury.
The world comes into the Birkbeck classroom
- Birkbeck’s flexible yet focused way of learning attracts a special type of student: hard-working, dedicated and determined to improve themselves.
- When you walk into a Birkbeck classroom, you’ll be surrounded by committed, enthusiastic students from all backgrounds, careers and cultures, aged from 18 to 80. The wealth of workplace and real-world experience and opportunities to network and collaborate are unrivalled.
- In many universities, the top academics do not teach undergraduates, but at Birkbeck, they do. We believe our students’ varied experiences enrich our teaching, so we’ll share knowledge and support you, as equals.
- The reasons people choose to study in the evening are as individual and varied as the people you’ll sit next to in class: young people who want to gain experience in the workplace while they study; working Londoners looking for a promotion or career change; people who missed out on university the first time around; or those who are simply passionate about their subject.
- Birkbeck was created 200 years ago to provide university education for working Londoners. We still believe in the power of knowledge to transform lives, so we go out of our way to make education accessible to as wide a community as possible. If you have commitment and ability to study, we’ll find a way to make it happen for you.
Get ahead in your career
- Most of our students work, intern or volunteer during the day, which means that Birkbeck graduates are better placed to get ahead in a competitive job market. They are recognised and highly valued by employers for their maturity, independent-mindedness, focus and determination. That’s why 95% of Birkbeck’s students are in work or further study six months after graduating.
- Birkbeck also has its own professional in-house recruitment agency, Birkbeck Talent, to connect you with London’s top employers for employment opportunities and paid internships.
School leavers gain workplace experience
- An increasing number of highly motivated school leavers and college students are choosing Birkbeck because they want to boost their careers from the outset, by gaining workplace experience while they study, rather than waiting until they graduate.
- Studying in the evening enables our younger students to experience the workplace, often for the first time, and we provide support and guidance to help those students thrive both during and after their studies.
Families, carers and supporters
- Studying at Birkbeck in the evenings is both enjoyable and intense. For students often balancing study, work and family commitments, the support and pride of families, carers, friends and supporters is often vital to their success.
- At Birkbeck, students gain prestigious University of London degrees from a university ranked in the top 250 worldwide. But what marks us out is our commitment to supporting every one of our students through their university journey, offering on-going practical and emotional support from welfare and support services to our in-house recruitment agency, Birkbeck Talent, connects students with London’s top employers.
- With your support at home and the extra help we provide at college, our students can change their lives.