Boost your career
Our evening teaching allows students to get ahead of other graduates in a highly competitive jobs market by using their days to work, intern or volunteer.
Whether you are a school-leaver just starting out or already have an established career, Birkbeck students have one thing in common: they are highly valued by employers for their maturity, independent-mindedness, focus and determination. That’s why 95% of Birkbeck’s students are in work or further study six months after graduating.
Achieve your career potential
We are committed to helping you make the most of your Birkbeck experience. Not only will you graduate with a prestigious University of London degree, but you will be equipped with the up-to-date knowledge and transferable skills demanded by employers.
Whether you decide to work while you study or enter the jobs market after graduation, you will have access to our specialist Careers and Employability Service and Birkbeck Talent recruitment service (see below).
- Birkbeck Talent is our professional recruitment service, aimed exclusively at assisting Birkbeck students to find work while studying and after graduation. We work with London’s top employers to help you find relevant work experience and innovative internships, get ahead in a competitive job market and make yourself more financially secure.
- We are university-owned and operated, solely providing our students with excellent service and finding them the right roles in the right environments. Because Birkbeck’s programmes are taught in the evening, we are able to connect employers with talented, knowledgeable, highly-motivated students who are looking for employment and internship opportunities during the day.
- We work alongside the Birkbeck Careers and Employability Service with the overall goal of improving student and graduate employability.
Careers and Employability Service
- Birkbeck's Careers and Employability Service provide comprehensive careers, recruitment and employability advice, events and information services for our students, both online and face-to-face at our dedicated support space on Birkbeck’s main central London campus. These services include:
- speaking to an employability advisor
- a bespoke Career Coaching Programme
- panel discussions with employers and Birkbeck alumni through our What Employers Wants series
- workshops and events on finding work
- CV, application writing and interview preparation
- online social media support
- We also work with Birkbeck Talent, our in-house recruitment service, to provide support for students pursuing employment and interning opportunities.
Birkbeck UpScale Programme
- A partnership between Birkbeck and the J.P. Morgan Foundation, the UpScale Programme aims to inspire and empower Birkbeck students to pursue work in the high-potential sector of technology. A series of stimulating and practical workshops, events, training sessions and networking opportunities will develop your potential and uncover unique opportunities.
‘What Employers Want’ seminars
- At these free panel discussions you will hear from expert alumni, industry professionals and diverse employers, gaining an insight in to the recruitment policies of leading organisations, the distinctive characteristics they look for in applicants and each stage of the recruitment process. Speakers discuss their own career paths and education journey, revealing the opportunities and challenges they faced along the way.
Enterprise and entrepreneurship
- Enterprise Education can help you develop an entrepreneurial mind-set, generate new ideas and acquire the knowledge, skills and behaviours to act upon them.
- Our Enterprise Pathways Programme gives you the opportunity to participate in an annual boot-camp, attend workshops and events, hear from inspiring speakers, enter competitions and complete an intensive summer module. We also have an online digital resource and 1:1 mentoring and coaching opportunities from our network of entrepreneurs. Advice and support on co-working spaces is also available.
Business Engagement Team
- Students in our School of Business, Economics and Informatics can take advantage of additional support in developing their careers or starting their own business.
- The Business Engagement Team organises live and filmed events and runs an extensive mentoring programme with Credit Suisse, PwC and Birkbeck alumni in a range of dynamic industries.