Research funding and scholarships
Birkbeck offers a range of scholarships at PhD level for research candidates. If you are interested in applying for research funding, please contact the schools directly to find out more about their requirements.
- As part of its Autumn Statement, the UK government has updated plans for its new postgraduate loan schemes.
- Exact details of the PhD loans have yet to be confirmed, but important new information has emerged about the scheme's scope and intentions.
- Check the Findamaster's guide for details of this loan.
School of Arts funding
School of Business, Economics and Informatics funding
- School of Business, Economics and Informatics research studentships
- Department of Computer Science and Information Systems: Applications are invited for a Full-time PhD studentship, funded by the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory within the Department of Computer Science and Information Systems. The studentship covers fees at Home/EU rate, plus an annual stipend of £15,863 for 3 years. Full details, application form.
- The Economic and Social Research Council Studentships on Health and Well-being (psychological approaches)
School of Law funding
School of Science funding
- ArcelorMittal Learning Ladder bursaries for students in east London: ArcelorMittal – the world’s leading steel and mining company – has made a major donation to Birkbeck to sponsor students in east London. As part of the three-year gift, called the Learning Ladder, ArcelorMittal will pay for four undergraduate student bursaries, tuition fees for one postgraduate student, and support for a student researching a PhD in crystallography – the study of atomic and molecular structures. For more information or to apply for the ArcelorMittal awards please contact Matthew Jackson at email@example.com or 020 7380 3169.
- Birkbeck Anniversary funding for Psychology research
- BBSRC-funded London Interdisciplinary Doctoral Programme
- ESRC funding for Psychology degrees
- London NERC Doctoral Training Partnership: for Earth and Planetary Studies PhD candidates.
- MRC Interdisciplinary PhD Programme
- PhD funding for research on Spatial cognition as a contributor to the development of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
- Science without Borders
- Wellcome Trust 4 year Interdisciplinary PhD Programme
School of Social Sciences, History and Philosophy funding
- Birkbeck Wellcome Trust ISSF (Institutional Strategic Support Fund) funding
- Bloomsbury Colleges studentships
- Career Development Loans
- Disabled Students' Allowance
- Help with childcare costs
- International student funding
- Alternative Sources of Funding (for current Birkbeck students and applicants only)