Research funding and scholarships
Birkbeck offers a range of scholarships at PhD level for research candidates. If you are interested in applying for research funding, please contact the schools directly to find out more about their requirements.
School of Arts funding
School of Business, Economics and Informatics funding
- School of Business, Economics and Informatics research studentships
- Department of Computer Science and Information Systems: Applications are invited for a Full-time PhD studentship, funded by the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory within the Department of Computer Science and Information Systems. The studentship covers fees at Home/EU rate, plus an annual stipend of £15,863 for 3 years. Full details, application form.
- The Economic and Social Research Council Studentships on Health and Well-being (psychological approaches)
School of Law funding
School of Science funding
- ArcelorMittal Learning Ladder bursaries for students in east London: ArcelorMittal – the world’s leading steel and mining company – has made a major donation to Birkbeck to sponsor students in east London. As part of the three-year gift, called the Learning Ladder, ArcelorMittal will pay for four undergraduate student bursaries, tuition fees for one postgraduate student, and support for a student researching a PhD in crystallography – the study of atomic and molecular structures. For more information or to apply for the ArcelorMittal awards please contact Matthew Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 7380 3169.
- Birkbeck Anniversary funding for Psychology research
- BBSRC-funded London Interdisciplinary Doctoral Programme
- ESRC funding for Psychology degrees
- London NERC Doctoral Training Partnership: for Earth and Planetary Studies PhD candidates.
- MRC Interdisciplinary PhD Programme
- PhD funding for research on Spatial cognition as a contributor to the development of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
- Science without Borders
- Wellcome Trust 4 year Interdisciplinary PhD Programme
School of Social Sciences, History and Philosophy funding
- Birkbeck Wellcome Trust ISSF (Institutional Strategic Support Fund) funding
- Bloomsbury Colleges studentships
- Career Development Loans
- Disabled Students' Allowance
- Help with childcare costs
- International student funding
- Alternative Sources of Funding (for current Birkbeck students and applicants only)