Birkbeck Postgraduate Bursary
The Birkbeck Postgraduate Bursary competition is no longer accepting applications for 2016/17.
We anticipate that the competition will open in April 2017 for the 2017/18 academic year.
Generously supported by our alumni, the Birkbeck Postgraduate Bursary offers non-repayable bursaries towards tuition fees of £3000 for full-time postgraduate courses and £1500 per year (for a maximum of two years) for part-time postgraduate courses.
These bursaries are designed to support students on low incomes, to provide them with an opportunity to study a postgraduate qualification that may further their career prospects.
- To be eligible for the Alumni Fund Postgraduate Opportunity Bursary you must:
- be applying to the first year of a taught master's degree (not a PGCert, PGDip, MRes or PhD) in the 2016/17 academic year. You do not need to have received an outcome to your course application in order to submit an application for the Bursary.
- be a 'Home' or EU fees student
- have made sufficient financial provision to meet the remaining costs associated with your fees and other course costs
- if necessary, be applying for a Government Postgraduate Student Loan or a Professional and Career Development Loan, if you are eligible to do so
- not be a current debtor to the college
- meet the income criteria (see below).
- You must have a gross annual household income (including partner's income, if relevant) for the 2015-2016 tax year that falls into one of the below categories:
- Single student, no dependent children: up to £28,065
- Single student, one dependent child: up to £30,065
- Single student, two dependent children: up to £31,065 (if you have more than two dependent children, add an extra £1000 for each additional child)
- Married/partnered student, no dependent children: up to £30,065
- Married/Partnered student, one dependent child: up to £32,065
- Married/Partnered student, two dependent children: up to £33,065 (if you have more than two dependent children, add an extra £1000 for each additional child)
How and when to apply
- The Alumni Fund Postgraduate Opportunity Bursary competition for 2016/17 has closed and we are no longer accepting applications. Competition for the 2017/18 academic year will open around April 2017.
- We can only process applications once you have applied for a place on a course. You do not need to have received an outcome of your course application in order to apply for the Opportunity Bursary.
- Once you have applied for your course, you need to check your eligibility and complete the application form (which will be uploaded once it becomes available). Please note: if your application form is incomplete, missing any pages, or does not include the relevant supporting documents, your application will not be considered.
- Once you have completed your application form, you will need to return it (with all supporting documents) by post to Birkbeck's Funding Advice Service. We do not accept applications by email.
When will you be notified of the outcome of your application?
- If you have applied for 2016/17 you can expect to be notified of the outcome of your application by the end of July 2016.