Undergraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Vietnam with Tot Nghiep Pho Thong Trung Hoc will need to complete a Foundation course for entry onto undergraduate programmes at the university. These offer the opportunity for guaranteed progression onto Birkbeck’s Bachelor programmes.
- Applicants with an associate degree (Tot Nghiep Cao dang) or who have completed the first year of a Bachelor’s degree (Bang Tot Nghiep Dai Hoc) with a grade of 7.0+ may be considered for direct entry to a Bachelor’s degree.
- Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission to our undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28–30, depending on the course.
Postgraduate entry requirements
- Successful applicants from Vietnam will usually have a minimum grade of 7.0 in their Bachelor’s (Bang Tot Nghiep Dai Hoc) degree from a recognised university in Vietnam. The preferred GPA may vary from one subject to another. Please note that all applications are considered on an individual basis and students may be admitted to Master's programmes with a lower level degree if they have work experience relevant to the degree applied for.
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for 2- or 3-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s degrees at Birkbeck.
- The grading system is uniform for all levels of education, and is based on a 10-point scale, with a pass mark of 5.0. The scale is as follows:
- Vietnamese Master’s degree classification:
- 8.00–10 (alternative name: Excellent; English translation or equivalent: 1st)
- 7.50–7.99 (alternative name: Good; Vietnamese Bachelor’s degree classification: 8.00–10.00; English translation or equivalent: 2:1)
- 7.00–7.49 (alternative name: Pass; Vietnamese Bachelor’s degree classification: 7.00–7.99; English translation or equivalent: 2:2).
Research degrees entry requirements
- Successful applicants will usually have a Master’s (Thac Si) degree with a final grade of at least 7.0 from a recognised university in Vietnam. A key consideration will be the quality of your research proposal.
- Applicants are strongly urged to contact potential supervisors within the department before submitting a research application.
- Birkbeck International Merit Scholarship: Birkbeck is offering a limited number of merit scholarships to suitably qualified students from Thailand, Vietnam and India who accept offers to do Master's degree programmes at Birkbeck, University of London, starting in September 2016.
Contact us in Vietnam
- GSE-beo (Hanoi)
No. 58 Ngoc Khanh Street
Ba Dinh District,
tel. +84 (0)4 3771 3561
- ISC-UKEAS (Ho Chi Minh City)
35 Mac Dinh Chi, Dakao Ward
District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
tel. +84 (0)8 3824 6622
- ISC-UKEAS (Hanoi Central)
1st Floor, Phu Dien Building
83A Ly Thuong Kiet
tel. +84 (0) 4 3941 1906
- ISC-UKEAS (Hanoi West)
62-64 Tran Thai Tong
Cau Giay District, Hanoi
tel. +84 (0) 4 3792 5288
- Viet Intellectual JSC
No. 19P, Thuy Khue Street
Tay Ho District
tel: +84 4 3776 4024
fax: +84 4 3773 6424
Check website for office in Ho Chi Minh City
- The Education Company (Ha Noi)
32 Linh Lang
tel: (04) 37664523/53
- The Education Company (Ho Chi Minh City)
Ground Floor, HPL Building
60 Nguyen Van Thu
Da Kao Ward
District 1, Ho Chi Minh City