Undergraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Ukraine holding a Aтестат про повну загальну середню освіту (Certificate of Complete General Secondary Education) will need to complete a Foundation course for entry onto undergraduate programmes at the university. These offer the opportunity for guaranteed progression onto Birkbeck’s Bachelor programmes.
- Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission to our undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28–30, depending on the course.
Postgraduate entry requirements
- For entry onto a Master’s degree, most Ukrainian students would need to have completed a Диплом спеціаліста (Specialist Diploma), a Dyplom Bakalavra (Bachelor’s degree) if awarded post-2008 or a Dyplom Magistra (Диплом магістра Master's degree) pre-2006. Ukrainian Master’s degrees awarded post-2006 are considered comparable to British Master's degree standard.
- Please note that all applications are considered on an individual basis and students may be admitted to Master's programmes with a lower level degree if they have work experience relevant to the degree applied for.
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for 2- or 3-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s degrees at Birkbeck.
- During the Soviet era academic achievement was measured on a 5-point scale (1–5) with 5 being the highest mark and 3 being the minimum pass mark. Since 2000 some institutions have been using a 12-point knowledge assessment scale with 12 being the highest mark.
- Ukrainian degree classification:
- 5; 12-point scale: 11 (alternative name: Excellent; English translation or equivalent: 1st)
- 4.5; 12-point scale: 9 (alternative name: Good; English translation or equivalent: 2:1)
- 4; 12-point scale: 8 (alternative name: Good; English translation or equivalent: 2:2).
Research degrees entry requirements
- The usual entrance requirement for a research degree is a Master’s degree/Dyplom Magistra (Magister Diploma) from a recognised university; schools may accept students with high grades in the undergraduate degree.
- Applicants are strongly urged to contact potential supervisors within the department before submitting a research application.