Undergraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Spain who have completed the following are eligible to apply directly for an undergraduate degree:
- Título de Bachille/Bachillerato with a minimum final grade of 7/10; this is equivalent to A-level grades BBC. See grading system for other equivalencies
- Prueba de Acceso a la Universidad (PAU) or Selectividad (university entrance exam) with a minimum final grade of 7/10
- Curso de Orientacion Universitaria (COU) (old system: pre-university course) with a minimum final grade of 7/10; students who pass the COU are not issued with a final certificate but instead completion of the COU is noted within the academic transcriptor Libro de Calificaciones and can be considered for entry
- Diplomado/Diplomatura (pre-Bologna) with good grades; can be considered for second year entry at the discretion of the department.
- Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission to our undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28–30, depending on the course.
- Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements can consider a Foundation course, which allows students the chance to progress onto Birkbeck’s Bachelor programmes.
- A-level AAA = 144 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 10 (corresponding subject grades: A = 8.5)
- A-level AAB = 136 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 9
- A-level ABB = 128 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 8.5
- A-level BBB = 120 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 8 (corresponding subject grades: B = 7)
- A-level BBC = 112 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 7.5
- A-level BCC = 104 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 7
- A-level CCC = 96 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 6.5 (corresponding subject grades: C = 6).
Postgraduate entry requirements
- To be considered for direct entry to a Master's degree at Birkbeck, applicants from Spain would normally be required to have successfully completed a Título de Graduado or a 5-year Título Universitario Oficial de Licenciado/Ingeniero/Arquitecto (Licenciatura) from a recognised institution.
- For programmes requiring a 2:1, a minimum final grade of 7/10 or 2/4
- For programmes requiring a 2:2, a minimum final grade of 6/10 or 1.5/4.
- Please note that all applications are considered on an individual basis and students may be admitted to Master's programmes with a lower level degree if they have work experience relevant to the degree applied for.
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for 2- or 3-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s degrees at Birkbeck.
- Spanish degree classification:
- 10 (Universidad Complutense Madrid: 4.0; alternative name: Matricula de honor; English equivalent: High 1st)
- 9 (Universidad Complutense Madrid: 3.0; alternative name: Sobresaliente; English equivalent: 1st)
- 7 (Universidad Complutense Madrid: 2.0; alternative name: Notable; English equivalent: 2:1)
- 6 (Universidad Complutense Madrid: 1.5; alternative name: Aprobado; English equivalent: 2:2).
Research degrees entry requirements
- The usual entrance requirement for a research degree is a Master’s degree from a recognised university; schools may accept students with high grades in the Licenciado, Título de Ingeniero and Título de Arquitecto.
- Applicants are strongly urged to contact potential supervisors within the department before submitting a research application.