Undergraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from South Korea who have completed the following can be considered for direct entry to an undergraduate course at Birkbeck:
- Specialised High School Diploma with exceptional grades
- Associate Degree/Junior College Diploma from a recognised institution with a final GPA of 3.2/4.5, 3.1/4.3 or 3.0/4.0 (at the discretion of the department, this qualification is lower than A-levels)
- One year of a Bachelor's degree (Haksa) at a recognised university with a GPA of 3.2/4.5, 3.1/4.3 or 3.0/4.0
- Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission to our undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28–30, depending on the course.
- Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements can consider a Foundation course, which allows students the chance to progress onto Birkbeck’s Bachelor programmes.
Postgraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from South Korea who are applying for Master’s degrees require:
- Bachelor’s degree (Haksa) from a recognised university. For programmes requiring a 2:1, a minimum final GPA of 3.2/4.5, 3.1/4.3 or 3.0/4.0; for programmes requiring a 2:2, a minimum final GPA of 3.0/4.5, 2.9/4.3 or 2.8/4.0
- Please note that all applications are considered on an individual basis and students may be admitted to Master's programmes with a lower level degree if they have work experience relevant to the degree applied for.
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for 2- or 3-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s degrees at Birkbeck.
- South Korean degree classification:
- Mark: 90–100 (letter: A+/A; numerical: 4.5/4; English equivalent: 1st)
- Mark: 80–89 (letter: B+/B; numerical: 3.5/3.0; English equivalent: 2:)
- Mark: 75–79 (letter: C+/B; numerical: 2.8; English equivalent: 2:2).
Research degrees entry requirements
- The usual entrance requirement for a research degree is a Master's degree (Suksa) from a recognised university with a final GPA of least 3.2/4.5, 3.1/4.3 or 3.0/4.0.
- Applicants are strongly urged to contact potential supervisors within the department before submitting a research application.
Contact us in South Korea
- EDM Education (Seoul)
11F, Kyewon Building
tel: +82 2 562 5091
Check website for office in Gangnam
- EDM Education (London)
2nd Floor, Morley House
314-322 Regent Street
tel: +44 (0)207 580 1521
- UK Education Network (UKEN)
6th Floor Hyunseok Building
897-2 Daechi Building
tel: +82 2 2052 1221
- UKEO (Central Office – Hongdae)
1608 LG Palace Building
tel: +82 2 3143 0380
Check website for office in Gangnam.