Undergraduate entry requirements
- We require a Singapore/Cambridge GCE A-level. The Singapore/Cambridge GCE A-level is graded in a similar way to UK GCE A-levels, an alphabetical scale is used ranging from A (highest) to E (lowest). Grade F is a fail grade.
- Students who have achieved the Singapore Polytechnic Diploma with good grades (3.0/4.0) may be considered for Year 2 entry onto related undergraduate degrees.
- Applicants from Singapore who fall short of minimum requirements can also take a Foundation course for entry onto undergraduate programmes at the university. These offer the opportunity for guaranteed progression onto Birkbeck’s Bachelor’s degree programmes.
- Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission to our undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28–30, depending on the course.
- A-level AAA = 144 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer AAA
- A-level AAB = 136 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer AAB
- A-level ABB = 128 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer ABB
- A-level BBB = 120 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer BBB
- A-level BBC = 112 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer BBC
- A-level BCC = 104 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer BCC
- A-level CCC = 96 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer CCC.
Postgraduate entry requirements
- To be considered for direct entry to a Master's degree at Birkbeck, applicants from Singapore would normally be required to have successfully completed a Bachelor’s degree from a recognised Singaporean public institution.
- Please note that all applications are considered on an individual basis and students may be admitted to Master's programmes with a lower level degree if they have work experience relevant to the degree applied for.
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for 2- or 3-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s degrees at Birkbeck.
- Singaporean honours degree classification:
- I; Singaporean degree classification (4.0 CGPA): 3.60–4.00; Singaporean degree classification (5.0 CGPA/CAP): 4.5–5.0 (English translation or equivalent: 1st)
- II (upper); Singaporean degree classification (4.0 CGPA): 3.20–3.59; Singaporean degree classification (5.0 CGPA/CAP): 4.0–4.49 (English translation or equivalent: 2:1)
- II (lower); Singaporean degree classification (4.0 CGPA): 2.80–3.19; Singaporean degree classification (5.0 CGPA/CAP): 3.5–3.99 (English translation or equivalent: 2:2).
Research degrees entry requirements
- The usual entrance requirement for a research degree is a Master’s degree from a recognised university; schools may accept students with high grades in the undergraduate degree.
- Applicants are strongly urged to contact potential supervisors within the department before submitting a research application.