Undergraduate entry requirements
- Applicants can be considered for direct entry onto an undergraduate course with the following:
- Malaysia Higher School Certificate Examination (Sijil Tinggi Pelajaran Malaysia – STPM); standard A-level grade requirements apply
- Matriculation Certificate (Matrikulasi) with a minimum final cumulative GPA of at least 3.0/4.0 (only for entry to degree programmes in Schools of Business, Economics and Informatics and School of Science)
- Unified Examination Certificate (UEC; Senior Middle Level); students with an overall Distinction/80%/‘A’ grades in 6 subjects may be considered for direct entry onto a Bachelor’s degree programme. This qualification is considered equivalent to Scottish Highers. Students with grades lower than 80% could apply for the Foundation course
- Polytechnic Certificate in a relevant subject with a final GPA of at least 3.0/4.0; this qualification is considered equivalent to BTEC National Diploma standard. Departments may wish to consider graduates with relevant subjects for direct entry onto Bachelor’s degrees
- Polytechnic Diploma in a relevant subject with a final GPA of at least 3.0/4.0. This qualification is considered comparable to BTEC HNC standard. Graduates with a relevant subject with a final GPA of at least 3.0/4.0 may be considered for entry to year 1 or year 2 of a Bachelor's degree at the discretion of the department.
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission onto undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28–30, depending on the course.
Postgraduate entry requirements
- To be considered for entry onto a Master’s degree at Birkbeck, a student from Malaysia must have completed a Bachelor’s degree from a recognised university.
- For programmes requiring a 2:1: An upper-second-class degree, a GPA of at least 3.0/4.0, grade B or equivalent is required
- For programmes requiring a 2:2: A lower second-class degree, a GPA of at least 2.85/4.0 or equivalent is required.
- Some flexibility (0.1–0.2) might be shown to graduates from high-ranked universities such as Universiti Malaya, Uni Kebangasaan M’sia, Uni Sains M’sia, Uni Teknologi M’sia, Uni Putra M’sia, Int’l Islamic Uni M’sia, Uni M’sia Sarawak. Please note that all applications are considered on an individual basis and students may be admitted to Master's programmes with a lower level degree if they have work experience relevant to the degree applied for.
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for 2- or 3-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s Degrees at Birkbeck.
- Malaysian degree classification:
- Class 1 (GPA: 3.50-4.00; alternative name: Excellent; English translation or equivalent: 1st)
- Class 2 division I (GPA: 3.00-3.49; alternative name: Very good; English translation or equivalent: 2:1)
- Class 2 division II (GPA: 2.50-2.99; alternative name: Good/redeemable; English translation or equivalent: 2:2).
Research degrees entry requirements
- For entrance onto a research degree, a Master’s degree from a recognised university with a GPA of at least 3.0/4.0, grade B or equivalent is required.
- Applicants are strongly urged to contact potential supervisors within the department before submitting a research application.