Undergraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Jamaica who have taken the Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examination (CAPE) qualification can be considered for entry to the first year of an undergraduate degree programme. CAPE is graded on a I to VI scale (I being the highest) and Birkbeck would typically look for a minimum of II in each subject taken.
- Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements for undergraduate entry can enrol on a Foundation course; these offer the opportunity for guaranteed progression onto Birkbeck’s Bachelor programmes.
- Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission to our undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28–30, depending on the course.
- A-level AAA = 144 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer one, one, one (I, I, I)
- A-level AAB = 136 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer one, one, two (I, I, II)
- A-level ABB = 128 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer one, two, two (I, II, II)
- A-level BBB = 120 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer two, two, two (II, II, II)
- A-level BBC = 112 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer two, two, three (II, II, III)
- A-level BCC = 104 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer two, three, three (II, III, III)
- A-level CCC = 96 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer three, three, three (III, III, III).
Postgraduate entry requirements
- To be considered for entry onto a Master’s degree at Birkbeck, a student from Jamaica must have completed a Bachelor’s degree from a recognised university. Please note that all applications are considered on an individual basis and students may be admitted to Master's programmes with a lower level degree if they have work experience relevant to the degree applied for.
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for 2- or 3-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s degrees at Birkbeck.
- Jamaican degree classification:
- Class I (University of West Indies GPA: 3.60+; English translation or equivalent: 1st)
- Class II upper division (University of West Indies GPA: 3.00–3.59; English translation or equivalent: 2:1)
- Class II lower division (University of West Indies GPA: 2.00–2.99; English translation or equivalent: 2:2).
Research degrees entry requirements
- The usual entrance requirement for a research degree is a Master’s degree; some departments may accept students with very good Bachelor’s degrees.
- Applicants are strongly urged to contact potential supervisors within the department before submitting a research application.