Undergraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Iraq who have taken the Certificate of Preparatory Education/Sixth Form Baccalauréat will normally require a Foundation course for entry onto undergraduate programmes at the university. These offer the opportunity for guaranteed progression onto Birkbeck’s Bachelor programmes.
- Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission to our undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28–30, depending on the course.
- Students who have studied for one or two years at a recognised higher education institution in Iraq may be considered for year 1 entry.
Postgraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Iraq will usually need a Master’s degree from a recognised higher education institution, or a Bachelor’s degree from a prestigious recognised higher education institution.
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for 2- or 3-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s degrees at Birkbeck.
- Applicants holding a Bachelor's degree with an overall of 70% (Non-Medical) and 65% (Medical) from a recognised Iraqi university will be considered for Master’s entry.
- Iraqi degree classification:
- 90–100 (alternative name: Excellent; English translation or equivalent: 1st)
- 75–89 (alternative name: Very good; English translation or equivalent: 2:1)
- 60–74 (alternative name: Good; English translation or equivalent: 2:2).
Research degrees entry requirements
- The usual entrance requirement for a research degree is a Master’s degree from a recognised Iraqi university.
- Applicants are strongly urged to contact potential supervisors within the department before submitting a research application.