Undergraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Indonesia who have taken the Ijazah – Sekolah Menengah Atas/Madrasah Aliyah (SMA – MA)/Surat Tanda Tamat Belajar Sekolah Menengah Umum Tingkat Atas (STTB – SMA) (Certificate of Completion of Academic Secondary School) will normally require a Foundation course for entry onto undergraduate programmes at the university. These offer the opportunity for guaranteed progression onto Birkbeck’s Bachelor programmes.
- Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission to our undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28–30, depending on the course.
Postgraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Indonesia will usually have a Sarjana I accredited with A with a minimum GPA of 2.8–3.0+ in their Bachelor’s degree from an accredited higher education institution; alternatively, a Sarjana I accredited with B with a minimum GPA of 3.0–3.3+. The preferred GPA may vary from one subject to another. Relevant work experience may also be considered for students whose GPAs are slightly below the preferred requirements.
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for 2- or 3-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s degrees at Birkbeck.
- Indonesian degree classification (GPA):
- 3.7-4.0 (A/B) (alternative name: Excellent or Good; English translation or equivalent: First)
- 3.2-3.69 (B/C) (English translation or equivalent: 2:1)
- 2.8-3.19 (C) (alternative name: Fair/Pass or Good; English translation or equivalent: 2:2).
Research degrees entry requirements
- The usual entrance requirement for a research degree is a Master’s degree from a UK university or a Sarjana II (S2)/Magister from a recognised university in Indonesia. A key consideration will be the quality of your research proposal.
- Applicants are strongly urged to contact potential supervisors within the department before submitting a research application.