Undergraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Hungary who have completed the Erettsegi/Matura can be considered for direct entry to an undergraduate course at Birkbeck.
- Applicants who have completed a Foundation course can progress onto Birkbeck’s Bachelor programmes.
- Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission to our undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28–30, depending on the course.
- A-level AAA = 144 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 5 (comparable offer: A = 5)
- A-level AAB = 136 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 5
- A-level ABB = 128 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 4
- A-level BBB = 120 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 4 (comparable offer: B = 4)
- A-level BBC = 112 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 3
- A-level BCC = 104 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 3
- A-level CCC = 96 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 3 (comparable offer: C = 3).
Postgraduate entry requirements
- We generally accept applicants to have a Bachelor's degree/Alapfokozt from a recognised university in Hungary or the Egyetemi Oklevel. A score of 4 from a well-ranked public institution is considered comparable to a UK 2:1, while a score of 3 is considered comparable to a UK 2:2. Please note that all applications are considered on an individual basis and students may be admitted to Master's programmes with a lower level degree if they have work experience relevant to the degree applied for.
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for 2- or 3-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s degrees at Birkbeck.
- Hungarian degree classification:
- 5 (alternative name: Jeles; English translation or equivalent: Excellent = 1st)
- 4 (alternative name: Jó; English translation or equivalent: Good = 2:1)
- 3 (alternative name: Közepes; English translation or equivalent: Average = 2:2).
Research degrees entry requirements
- The usual entrance requirement for a research degree is usually a Master's degree from a recognised university in Hungary. A key consideration will be the quality of your research proposal.
- Applicants are strongly urged to contact potential supervisors within the department before submitting a research application.