Undergraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Guatemala who have completed the Bachillerato will normally require a Foundation course for entry onto undergraduate programmes at the university. These offer the opportunity for guaranteed progression onto Birkbeck’s Bachelor programmes.
- Applicants who have completed 1 year of a Licenciado at a Guatemalan university with a score of 70% or higher may be considered for direct entry.
- Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission to our undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28–30, depending on the course.
Postgraduate entry requirements
- To be considered for entry onto a Master’s degree at Birkbeck, a student from Guatemala must have completed a 4-year Licenciado from a recognised university. A score of 75 or higher from Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala (USAC) can be considered comparable to a UK 2:1, 60 is comparable to a UK 2:2. Private universities have a higher pass mark, so 80 or higher should be considered comparable to a UK 2:1, 70 is comparable to a UK 2:2. Please note that all applications are considered on an individual basis and students may be admitted to Master's programmes with a lower level degree if they have work experience relevant to the degree applied for.
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for 2- or 3-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s degrees at Birkbeck.
Research degrees entry requirements
- The usual entrance requirement for a research degree is usually a Master's degree from a recognised university in Guatemala.
- Applicants are strongly urged to contact potential supervisors within the department before submitting a research application.
- 2017 Santander Scholarships: Birkbeck is pleased to offer various £5000 scholarships to students from Latin America who will be studying at either undergraduate or postgraduate level at Birkbeck during the 2017–2018 academic year.