Undergraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Ecuador who have completed the Titulo de Bachiller en Ciencias will normally require a Foundation course for entry onto undergraduate programmes at the university. These offer the opportunity for guaranteed progression onto Birkbeck’s Bachelor programmes.
- Applicants who have completed 1 year at an Ecuadorian university (Licenciatura) with a 70% or equivalent GPA may be considered for direct entry.
- Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission to our undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28–30, depending on the course.
Postgraduate entry requirements
- To be considered for entry onto a Master’s degree at Birkbeck, a student from Ecuador must have completed a 4-year Licenciado from a recognised university. A score of 80 or 8 from a well-ranked public institution is considered comparable to a UK 2:1, while a score of 70 or 7.0 is considered comparable to a UK 2:2. Please note that all applications are considered on an individual basis and students may be admitted to Master's programmes with a lower level degree if they have work experience relevant to the degree applied for.
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for 2- or 3-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s degrees at Birkbeck.
- Ecuadorian degree classification:
- 90% (9.0 out of ten; English translation or equivalent: 1st)
- 80% (8.0 out of ten; English translation or equivalent: 2:1)
- 70% (7.0 out of ten; English translation or equivalent: 2:2).
Research degrees entry requirements
- For entry onto our research degree courses students should normally have Master’s degree (Maestria) from a UK university or a recognised university in Ecuador.
- Applicants are strongly urged to contact potential supervisors within the department before submitting a research application.
- 2017 Santander Scholarships: Birkbeck is pleased to offer various £5000 scholarships to students from Latin America who will be studying at either undergraduate or postgraduate level at Birkbeck during the 2017–2018 academic year.