Undergraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from the Czech Republic who have completed the Maturita/Maturitni Zkouška (School Leaving Certificate) or a Vysvedcení o Maturitní Zkoušce with a minimum final grade of 3 when awarded after a minimum of 4 years of study can apply for direct entry onto Birkbeck’s undergraduate degrees.
- Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission to our undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28–30, depending on the course.
- Applicants who fall short of the entry requirements may also complete a Foundation course for entry onto undergraduate programmes at the university. These offer the opportunity for guaranteed progression onto Birkbeck’s Bachelor programmes.
- A-level AAA = 144 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 1.0 (comparable offer: A = 1)
- A-level AAB = 136 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 1.5
- A-level ABB = 128 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 1.8
- A-level BBB = 120 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 2.0 (comparable offer: B = 2)
- A-level BBC = 112 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 2.2
- A-level BCC = 104 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 2.4
- A-level CCC = 96 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 2.6 (comparable offer: C = 3).
Postgraduate entry requirements
- To be considered for entry onto a Master’s degree at Birkbeck, a student from the Czech Republic must have completed a Bachelor’s degree from a reputable university. Please note that all applications are considered on an individual basis and students may be admitted to Master's programmes with a lower level degree if they have work experience relevant to the degree applied for.
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for 2- or 3-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s degrees at Birkbeck.
- Czech degree classification:
- Pre-2001: 1.0; post-2001: 1.0 (English translation or equivalent: Excellent = 1st)
- Pre-2001: 2.0; post-2001: 1.5 (English translation or equivalent: Good = 2:1)
- Pre-2001: 3.0; post-2001: 2.0 (English translation or equivalent: Pass = 2:2).
Research degrees entry requirements
- For entry onto our research degree courses students should normally have a Magistr/Master’s degree or professional title such as Inzenýr or Doktor Mediciny (since 2001). However, schools also accept students with high grades in the Bakalar/Bachelor’s degree (since 2001) or the Magistr/Master’s degree or professional title such as Inzenýr or Doktor Mediciny (before 2001).
- Applicants are strongly urged to contact potential supervisors within the department before submitting a research application.