Undergraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Costa Rica who have completed the Bachillerato will normally require a Foundation course for entry onto undergraduate programmes at the university. These offer the opportunity for guaranteed progression onto Birkbeck’s Bachelor programmes.
- Applicants who have completed the first year of a Bachiller or Licenciado with a grade of 8.0/10 will be considered for direct entry.
- Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission to our undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28–30, depending on the course.
Postgraduate entry requirements
- To be considered for entry onto a Master’s degree at Birkbeck, a student from Costa Rica must have completed a Bachiller degree with good grades from a registered university. For programmes requiring a 2:1, students must have achieved a final GPA of at least 4.0/5.0 or equivalent; for programmes requiring a 2:2, a final GPA of at least 3.5/5.0 is required.
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for 2- or 3-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s degrees at Birkbeck.
Research degrees entry requirements
- To be considered for entry onto a research degree, applicants from Costa Rica will normally be required to have successfully completed a Master's degree (Maestria degree); a Licenciatura with good grades can be considered at the discretion of the department.
- Applicants are strongly urged to contact potential supervisors within the department before submitting a research application.
- 2017 Santander Scholarships: Birkbeck is pleased to offer various £5000 scholarships to students from Latin America who will be studying at either undergraduate or postgraduate level at Birkbeck during the 2017–2018 academic year.