Undergraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Bulgaria can apply for direct entry onto Birkbeck’s undergraduate degrees; a Diploma za Sredno Spetsialno Obrazovani (Диплома за Средно Специално Образование, Diploma of Completed Secondary Specialised Education) or Диплома за Cредно Oбразование (Diploma of Completed Secondary Education) when awarded after 4 years of study is required. Exact requirements will depend on the course but students usually need to obtain at least a 5.0 or above.
- Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission to our undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28–30, depending on the course.
- Students who fall short of the requirement can also take a Foundation course for entry onto undergraduate programmes at the university. These offer the opportunity for guaranteed progression onto Birkbeck’s Bachelor programmes.
- A-level AAA = 144 UCAS tariff points: 360 = comparable offer 6.0 (comparable offer: A = 6)
- A-level AAB = 136 UCAS tariff points= comparable offer 5.8
- A-level ABB = 128 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 5.6
- A-level BBB = 120 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 5.4 (comparable offer: B = 5)
- A-level BBC = 112 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 5.2
- A-level BCC = 104 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 5.0
- A-level CCC = 96 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 4.8 (comparable offer: C = 4).
Postgraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Bulgaria need to have completed a Bachelor’s degree/Diploma za Zavarsheno Visshe Obrazovanie (Diploma of Completed Higher Education) from a recognised institution.
- Relevant work experience may also be considered for students whose GPAs are slightly below the preferred requirements.
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for 2- or 3-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s Degrees at Birkbeck.
- Bulgarian degree classification:
- 6 (alternative name: Otlichen; English translation or equivalent: Excellent = 1st)
- 5 (alternative name: Mnogo Dobur; English translation or equivalent: Very good = 2:1)
- 4 (alternative name: Dobur; English translation or equivalent: Good = 2:2).
Research degrees entry requirements
- For entry onto our research degree courses students should normally have Master’s degree.
- Applicants are strongly urged to contact potential supervisors within the department before submitting a research application.