Undergraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Botswana will normally require a Foundation course for entry onto undergraduate programmes at the university. These offer the opportunity for guaranteed progression onto Birkbeck’s Bachelor programmes.
- Applicants who have completed 1 year of an undergraduate degree from the University of Botswana can apply directly to an undergraduate degree.
- Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission to our undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28–30, depending on the course.
Postgraduate entry requirements
- Students who hold a good Master’s degree are eligible for entry onto a Master’s degree with at least GPA of 3.0/4.0 or 3.5/5.0 (70%/B/'very good') from a recognised institution in Botswana.
- Relevant work experience may also be considered for students whose GPAs are slightly below the preferred requirements.
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for 2- or 3-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s degrees at Birkbeck.
- Botswana degree classification:
- 1st class (alternative name: A average; percentage: 80%; English translation or equivalent: 1st)
- 2nd class 1st division (alternative name: B average; percentage: 70%; English translation or equivalent: 2:1)
- 2nd class 2nd division (alternative name: C average; percentage: 60%; English translation or equivalent: 2:2).
Research degrees entry requirements
- Students who have completed a Master’s degree from a recognised institution will be considered for PhD study.
- Applicants are strongly urged to contact potential supervisors within the department before submitting a research application.
- Scholarships for students from Africa: Birkbeck is pleased to offer several scholarships to students from Africa who will be studying at either undergraduate or postgraduate level at Birkbeck during the 2017–2018 academic year.