Undergraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Austria can apply for direct entry onto Birkbeck’s undergraduate degrees; a Reife und Diplomprüfung/Matura from Berufsbildende Höhere Schulen (BHS) or a Reifeprüfung/Matura from Allgemeinbildende Höhere Schulen when awarded after 4 years of study is required.
- Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission to our undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28–30, depending on the course.
- A-level AAA = 144 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 1 (corresponding subject grades: A = mit ausgezeichnetem erfolg bestanden)
- A-level AAB = 136 UCAS tariff points: = comparable offer 1.5
- A-level ABB = 128 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 1.8
- A-level BBB = 120 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 2.0 (corresponding subject grades: B = mit gutem erfolg bestanden)
- A-level BBC = 112 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 2.2
- A-level BCC = 104 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 2.4
- A-level CCC = 96 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 2.6 (corresponding subject grades: C = bestanden).
Postgraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Austria who hold a Diplomstudium/Magister or a Bachelor’s degree from a recognised university are eligible for entry onto a Master’s degree.
- Relevant work experience may also be considered for students whose GPAs are slightly below the preferred requirements.
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for 2- or 3-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s degrees at Birkbeck.
- Austrian degree classification:
- 1 (alternative name: Sehr gut; English translation or equivalent: Very good = 1st)
- 2 (alternative name: Gut; English translation or equivalent: Good = 2:1)
- 3 (alternative name: Befriedigend; English translation or equivalent: Satisfactory = 2:2).
Research degrees entry requirements
- For entry onto our research degree courses students should normally have the new Magister/Master’s postgraduate degree. However, some schools may also accept students with high grades in the Magister/Magistra or Diplom-Ingenieur/Diplom-Ingenieurin or the Bakkalaureus/Bachelor’s degree.
- Applicants are strongly urged to contact potential supervisors within the department before submitting a research application.