Undergraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Algeria with the (Baccalauréat de l'Enseignement Secondaire) or شهادة ال ب كال وري ا ل ل ت ع ل يم ال ت ق ني (Baccalauréat Technique/Commercial) will normally require a Foundation course for entry onto undergraduate programmes at the university. These offer the opportunity for guaranteed progression onto Birkbeck’s Bachelor programmes.
- Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission to our undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28–30, depending on the course.
Postgraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Algeria will usually have a good Algerian Bachelor’s degree (Licence), (Diplôme de [plus subject area]), (Diplôme d'Études Supérieures), or a (Diplôme d'Ingénieur/Diplôme d'Architecte d'État) from a recognised university. Exact requirements will depend on the course you are applying for.
- Relevant work experience may also be considered for students whose GPAs are slightly below the preferred requirements.
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for 2- or 3-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s degrees at Birkbeck.
- Algerian degree classification:
- 16 (alternative name: Très bien; English translation or equivalent: Excellent 1st)
- 14 (alternative name: Bien; English translation or equivalent: Very good 2:1)
- 12 (alternative name: Assez bien; English translation or equivalent: Good 2:2).
Research degrees entry requirements
- The usual entrance requirement for a research degree is a Master's degree from a UK university or recognised university in Algeria.
- Applicants are strongly urged to contact potential supervisors within the department before submitting a research application.
- Scholarships for students from Africa: Birkbeck is pleased to offer several scholarships to students from Africa who will be studying at either undergraduate or postgraduate level at Birkbeck during the 2016–2017 academic year.