Undergraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Albania with the Dëftesë Pjekurie (Secondary School Leaving Certificate) or Diplomë e Maturës Shtetërore (Diploma of State Matura) will normally require a Foundation course for entry onto undergraduate programmes at the university. These offer the opportunity for guaranteed progression onto Birkbeck’s Bachelor programmes.
- Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission to our undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28–30, depending on the course.
Postgraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Albania will usually have a Bachelor’s degree (Honours)/Diplomë e Studimeve te Thelluara (Diploma of Advanced Studies). Exact requirements will depend on the course you are applying for, but you will be expected to have a final grade of at least 8/10. Some departments may also accept high grades in a 4-year Diplomë/Titull.
- Relevant work experience may also be considered for students whose GPAs are slightly below the preferred requirements.
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for 2- or 3-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s degrees at Birkbeck.
- Degree classification:
- 10 (alternative name: Dhjetë; English translation or equivalent: Excellent 1st)
- 9 (alternative name: Nëntë; English translation or equivalent: Very good 2:1)
- 8 (alternative name: Tetë; English translation or equivalent: Good 2:2).
Research degrees entry requirements
- The usual entrance requirement for a research degree is a Master's degree from a UK university or recognised university in Albania.
- Applicants are strongly urged to contact potential supervisors within the department before submitting a research application.