Renting private accommodation can give you more personal space and independence, and make it easier to find accommodation to suit your budget. London has a huge range of private rented accommodation, such as individual rooms, flats, apartments or houses.
Finding rented accommodation
If you wish to stay in private rented accommodation, we recommend that you aim to arrive in the UK two or three weeks before the start of the academic year to allow time to search for accommodation.
Check rental prices
- You can check average prices of rented accommodation for different areas of London by using the London Rents Map website.
Find private rented accommodation
- The London Student Housing Guide provides useful advice when searching for rented accommodation in London.
- The University of London Housing Service provides a private housing database search.
- The following websites may also be useful when searching for private rented accommodation (please note that Birkbeck, University of London, accepts no liability for the content of external websites):
- Accommodation for students
- Find a Property
Check journey times to Birkbeck
- Rented accommodation is often further away from Birkbeck, so if travelling time between your accommodation and Birkbeck is an issue for you, you should check average travelling times on the Transport for London website .
University of London Housing Service (ULHS)
- The University of London Housing Service (ULHS) offers free independent advice to all Birkbeck students looking for accommodation in the private sector.
- ULHS services include:
- online and printed lists of private sector accommodation, updated daily from a database of over 2000 landlords
- a London student flat sharing list for students offering or seeking accommodation with other students
- free contract checking service for all students
- help with all private sector housing queries including: tenancy agreements; deposits and rents; repairs; how to inspect accommodation; etc.
- free legal advice to those students who experience problems with their accommodation.
- To find out more information about the ULHS and to browse their accommodation database, visit the ULHS website.
University of London Housing Service Housing Fair - 4 May 2012
- Each year the ULHS hold a Housing Fair where students can find shared houses or flats and individual rooms advertised in advance of the following academic year. The fair also includes dozens of exhibitors, including University registered letting agents, landlords and private Halls of Residence.
- The fair will take place on 4 May 2012 between 10am and 2pm in Room 101, ULU Bulding, Malet Street, WC1E 7HY. Please see the ULHS website for more details.