Families and supporters
Studying at Birkbeck in the evenings is both enjoyable and intense. For students balancing study, work and family commitments, the support of family, friends and carers is often vital to their success.
With your help at home, combined with the advice and support we provide at Birkbeck, we can help students change their lives.
This section aims to help family and supporters with their queries and concerns. Read more about our extensive range of student services.
A world-class university
- Birkbeck is a world-class research and teaching institution based in central London.
- Birkbeck is part of the prestigious University of London, alongside University College London (UCL), Kings College London (KCL), the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), and others.
- As a college of the University of London, Birkbeck awards globally recognised University of London qualifications - a mark of quality and excellence.
- Birkbeck is one of the top 250 universities in the world.
- In the 2016 National Student Survey (NSS), 91% of Birkbeck students in their final year found their course intellectually stimulating, with 87% satisfied with their overall Birkbeck’s research excellence was confirmed in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework, with 73% of our research rated world-leading or internationally excellent.
- In the 2017 QS World University Rankings by Subject, we are ranked among the top 100 universities worldwide in English and Philosophy, in the top 150 universities worldwide in Arts and Humanities, History, Psychology and Law, and in the top 200 for Geography, Communication and Media Studies and Sociology.
- Arts and humanities courses at Birkbeck are ranked third best in London and 13th best in the UK in the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings 2016–2017 by subject.
The Birkbeck difference
- Birkbeck is London’s only specialist provider of evening higher education. With classes held between 6pm and 9pm, students are free to study, work, volunteer or do their own thing during the day. Read more about evening study at Birkbeck.
- Students study at a pace that suits them. In many subjects, they can choose to complete their degree full-time or part-time. Read more about the studying full-time and part-time.
- We encourage applications from students without traditional qualifications, as we base decisions on our own assessment of qualifications, knowledge and previous work experience.
- The majority of our students live in private accommodation, but we also have places available in University of London intercollegiate halls and an agreement with UNITE, a specialist provider of student accommodation, which entitles full-time Birkbeck students to apply for places within their halls of residence.
- Birkbeck students have free access to the professional services of the University of London Housing Service, which can provide advice and help you find the best type of accommodation.
- Read more about accommodation and Birkbeck.
Fees and finance
- With no upfront fees for most undergraduate students, new loans for postgraduate students and fantastic financial support packages for all levels of study, there’s never been a better time to study at Birkbeck.
- Read more about fees and finance and financial support.
My Birkbeck Student Advice Centre
- If you have queries about any aspect of applying to, or studying at, Birkbeck, your first port of call should be our Student Advice Centre.
Welfare and study support
- At Birkbeck, we take great care of our students, whatever their age, through a range of welfare services that provide advice, guidance and practical support when needed, including our Counselling Service, Disability and Dyslexia Service, Learning Development Service and our Mental Health Service.
- Read more about our student services.
- Our main campus in Bloomsbury, WC1, is a lively student-centred area that’s home to a number of other universities and colleges of the University of London, including University College London and the School of Oriental and African Studies.
- Across the city, in east London, we offer courses at University Square in Stratford, ideal if students live and work in that part of London. Our Stratford campus includes a library, an advice service, dedicated study areas and up-to-date IT facilities.
- Our Bloomsbury campus houses cafes, coffee shops and a bar. It is home to the Birkbeck Library - and close to some of the world's greatest libraries and research centres, including the British Library - and to the Birkbeck Cinema. We also offer comprehensive IT facilities and an evening nursery. Read more about all of these facilities and services.
- Our evening teaching allows students to get ahead of other graduates in a highly competitive jobs market by using their days to work, intern or volunteer.
- Whether they are school-leavers just starting out or already have an established career, Birkbeck students have one thing in common: they are highly valued by employers for their maturity, independent-mindedness, focus and determination. That’s why 95% of Birkbeck’s students are in work or further study six months after graduating.
- Whether students decide to work while they study or enter the jobs market after graduation, they will have access to our specialist Careers and Employability Service and our in-house recruitment agency, Birkbeck Talent.
Come and meet us
- Open Evenings, Open Days, campus tours and Get Started workshops are the perfect opportunity to join your family member or friend in finding out more about evening study at Birkbeck. Read more about coming to meet us.
- If you are overseas you can meet Birkbeck staff at international education fairs in more than 20 countries around the world.
- Our free Get Started workshops are aimed at undergraduate students and outline fees and funding, writing an application and preparing for study at Birkbeck.