A world-class research institution
Recognised as a global elite university, Birkbeck is ranked among the top 150 universities in the world and 24 nationally (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2011). In the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise, Birkbeck was ranked in the top 25 per cent of UK multi-faculty institutions. In the most recent Research Assessment Exercise (RAE 2008), Birkbeck ranked in the top 25 per cent of UK multi-faculty institutions:
- Research in 11 subject areas at Birkbeck is rated as ‘world-leading’. This research directly informs curriculum development and teaching.
- Our international research profile benefits our students in terms of both the teaching they receive and the guidance they get as research students – both of which are of the highest quality.
- Birkbeck received £10 million in external research grant funding in 2010–2011.
- This included research grants from seven of the eight Research Councils (including the Economic and Social Research Council, the Arts and Humanities Research Council, the Medical Research Council, and the Biotechnology and the Biotechnology and Biological Research Council), which demonstrates both the diversity and the excellence of our research.
- Birkbeck was awarded a prestigious Queen’s Anniversary Prize for excellence in higher education research in 2006. This research was undertaken by Birkbeck’s Centre for Brain and Cognitive Development, a leading centre for neuropsychological research.
These achievements reflect Birkbeck’s ongoing commitment to world-class research and are evidence of our position as a leading international research institution.
Find out more about our research.