Choosing a course
We offer a wide choice of subjects, and every year we review our range of courses to make sure that we continue to offer the courses that are of most interest to you.
Certificates of Higher Education
Our Certificates of Higher Education are University of London qualifications in their own right and can also be used to gain entry onto some degree programmes.
They normally consist of a combination of compulsory and option modules, and are taught at first year undergraduate level. Taught part-time, usually in the evenings, they are ideal if you are looking for career advancement, are interested in getting back into studying, or want to study at university level for the first time.
There are two main types of certificate programmes:
- These are Certificate of Higher Education awards that are usually open to all and very flexible. They are normally made up of some compulsory modules and some which you are able to choose (option modules). You can study these programmes at your own pace, taking one or more modules each year, depending on your other commitments (subject to programme regulations, which may stipulate a maximum length of registration).
- This flexible structure is a great way to explore a new subject, satisfy an intellectual itch or to get back into study after a break. You can sign up for an individual module, and if you enjoy it, you can do the next module and build up your credits to gain a certificate – it’s entirely up to you.
- These are Certificate of Higher Education awards that require you to complete an application to be considered for entry onto the course.
- They are either made up of some compulsory modules and some which you are able to choose (option modules); or some programmes are made up of all compulsory modules.
- You will be required to complete these programmes in either one or two years (the time period is specified in the course entry).
Certificates of Continuing Education
Shorter periods of study can lead to the award of a Certificate of Continuing Education.
Short courses, weekend events and summer schools
Our short courses can act either as an introduction to a new subject area or as a refresher course before you embark on more intensive study. They range from classroom talks followed by a visit to London’s famous historic gardens, museums and galleries, archaeological walks around London, and study days to complement musical performances and events.