Birkbeck is different: our classes are held in the evening, so your days are free - to study, work, volunteer or just do your own thing.
We know the conventional university model isn’t right for everyone. Our evening teaching gives people who care about their future something special: the opportunity to study at a world class, research-intensive university and progress their life goals at the same time.
With a global reputation for high-quality research and teaching, Birkbeck is part of the prestigious University of London, alongside University College London, King’s College London and the London School of Economics and Political Science, among others.
- Find out more about our graduate destinations (based on student responses to the annual Graduate Destination Survey) - check our departments listed on the left-hand menu.
Gain a head start on your career by studying in the evening
- Birkbeck is different: with us you study in the evening, between 6pm and 9pm, which means you have your days free.
- Most of our students use this time to work. Gaining useful work experience while you study for your University of London degree can also give you a headstart on other graduates in a highly competitive jobs market.
- Our Careers and Employability Service will help you throughout your studies.
- After graduation, Birkbeck students who worked during their degree may be applying for a second job or a promotion, or otherwise advancing their career, while most graduates are still looking for their first role.
Prestigious University of London degrees from a university ranked among the world’s best
- 18,000 students study at Birkbeck each year, gaining prestigious University of London degrees that are valued by employers across the world. As a member college of the University of London, Birkbeck shares its standards and we award internationally recognised University of London qualifications.
- Recognised as a global elite university, Birkbeck was ranked among the top 1% of universities in the world in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2013.
- We provide inspirational teaching with some of the world’s top academics. Birkbeck has consistently ranked number 1 in the annual National Student Surveys and was voted number 1 for teaching in the 2012 survey. Our academics are experienced at supporting students who are balancing evening study alongside work and other daytime commitments.
- Our evening teaching is designed with you in mind and we provide all of the facilities and support that you would expect, including a library that's open late, excellent computing facilities, a student centre and a dedicated careers service.
Work towards your career goals
- Most of our former students are based in London, building successful careers in major corporations, City firms and global institutions, as well as some of the world’s most prestigious arts, cultural and charity organisations, NGOs, and government bodies. They include high-ranking Civil Servants, MPs and highly successful entrepreneurs and CEOs. Our alumni are committed to, and passionate about, Birkbeck and are actively engaged in sharing their professional experience and expertise with current students.
- You can meet alumni at open evenings, through mentoring schemes, employability seminars and other professional development events. These are great opportunities to learn more about what employers really want, how to get into particular sectors or industries, or to hear more about what entrepreneurship and social enterprise mean and involve.
The benefits of studying at Birkbeck
Our students are passionate about studying at Birkbeck: