We assign personal tutors to all students in the Department. These tutors are experienced in supporting busy adult students, and can help you if you are experiencing any difficulties relating to your course.
Other sources of support
- Accommodation: Birkbeck has an arrangement with the University of London Housing Services, which provides support in finding accommodation for our students.
- Careers service: Birkbeck students are entitled to use The Specialist Institutions' Careers Service (SICS), the dedicated careers service for all University of London colleges. You can also attend career development workshops, organised by the Centre for Learning and Professional Development.
- Disability support: Birkbeck believes in equal opportunities for all, and provides excellent support to students with disabilities.
- English language support: The Centre for Learning and Professional Development can help you find appropriate support.
- Nursery: The College runs a well-equipped nursery which is available to current students and is open between 5.30 and 9.00 pm during term time.
- Students' Union: All students become members of the Birkbeck Students' Union automatically and should collect their Union cards from the Union office, located on the fourth floor of the extension building in Malet Street.
- Learning support and skills training: we offer a wide range of courses to help you brush up your study skills, if you need extra help.
- University of London Union: Birkbeck students are also eligible for membership to the University of London Union. The facilities in the ULU building on Malet Street include: swimming pool and gym; laundrette; general shop; sports shop; insurance agents; printing and photocopying; ticket shop; STA Travel; health and beauty treatments; and a variety of sports clubs and societies.