Anne Showstack Sassoon
Visiting Professor of Politics
Professor Sassoon is Emeritus Professor in Politics at Kingston University, where she taught until 2004. She has held visiting teaching posts in Canada, Denmark, and Italy and lectured in Mexico, the United States, Spain, Finland, Norway and Hungary. She has published widely on the work of Antonio Gramsci, on civil society, citizenship and globalisation, on the changing socio-economic roles of women and the welfare state, and on the politics of New Labour.
She teaches Gender and Politics on the Birkbeck MA/MSc Gender, Sexuality, Politics and Culture.
- Gramsci and Contemporary Politics, Routledge, 2000
- 'Intimations of a Gramscian approach to global civil society,' in The Idea of Global Civil Society, ed.by R. D. Germain and M. Kenny, Routledge, 2005
- 'Gramsci and the Secret of Father Brown' in Images of Gramsci. Connections and contentions in political theory and international relations, ed. by A. Bieler and A. D. Morton, Routledge, 2006.
- BA from the University of California, Berkeley
- PhD from the London School of Economics